Friday, August 26, 2005

The Tension Mounts

I am in Dunedin now- one of the lucky few to get accommodation. Well, jammy more like as I bought my ticket and the bus driver had heard of a cancellation and so booked me into a hostel immediately. I arrived here from Queenstown around lunchtime. It is cold as hell- there was fresh snow on the mountains surrounding Queenstown when I woke up this morning and I have been wearing pretty much all of my clothes to walk around town today.

There is a bit of a festival atmosphere here in Dunedin. Now, I don't know if it is like this every weekend because this is my first visit but I am sure that the pockets of green rugby shirts are caused by the Tri-Nations tonight. There is a place in the centre of the city called the Octogan, basically a road intersection circled by bars, and it appears that the South Africans have set up shop in one bar and the Kiwis are in the bar next door. It is all very jovial- I just saw some mock jousting with the flags and there seems to be some people dressed in black intent on playing the ball all the way to the stadium at the other end of town. There is a band playing and people just seem to be having a great time.

Everyone in the hostel is going to the rugby tonight. Not even the lure of CadburyWorld just down the road has stopped me in my determination. I have even bought a new warm as anything fleece to wear tonight as I think that it will be very cold indeed. And I found a hat in the last hostel which has the double benefit of keeping my head warm and making me look like an adventurous type as it has 'Tandem Skydive' written across the front of it.

And the colour of my new clothing??? Sorry, Neil and Annette, it is all black!

3 Comments:

At Sat Aug 27, 12:01:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear...you wearing black is a good omen.It sounds so exciting to be in the real world!!Soak it all in for us!!

Neil and Annette

 
At Sat Aug 27, 02:48:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh sooooo close . . . Helen, you should have looked a little harder for something green and gold to don for the game! Just caught the end right now - lucky you for attending this action packed game. And we almost got it, until the last couple of minutes! Damn !!!

Sure you had a blast !

 
At Sat Aug 27, 04:05:00 PM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

Man, it was close!! For a few minutes there it looked like the Springboks were going to walk away with a victory for the first time at Carisbrook. But the All Blacks fought back and just pipped them to the post.

It was an awesome game- nail bitting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts