Saturday, August 20, 2005

Victorians

Victoria is a state in the south of Australia. Its residents are known as Victorians. I am always mildly disappointed when I meet Victorians. I have a picture in my mind that Victoria is populated by a people who get from place to place in horse-drawn cabs, the men have moustaches and wear top hats, the women are tightly laced into corsets and suffer attacks of the vapours and frequently have to be brought round with smelling salts, the children work up chimneys and table legs are covered for fear that the men won't be able to control themslves at the sight of a nicely turned wooden leg.

Alas, they tell me that it isn't so.

3 Comments:

At Fri Aug 19, 08:02:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Helen, you ARE writing a book, right? You have to write a book. And you'll mention the wacked-out annoying aerophobic Canuckian wingnut who has a weird thing about hats. Oh, and you'll mention me, too, of course.

You have to write a book, if only to write more wonderful things like "...where the children work up chimneys and table legs are covered for fear that the men won't be able to control themslves at the sight of a nicely turned wooden leg..."

And then I walk into the kitchen to find Mark under the table...

 
At Sat Aug 20, 12:07:00 AM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

very sus behaviour if you ask me.

A book? A book? When would I have time to do that what with all thise blogging?

 
At Sun Aug 21, 08:54:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, talk to Swiss-James. He managed to find and break the Weather Machine; I'm sure he do the same for the Time Machine...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts