Saturday, December 16, 2006

Home away from home

elementary class

Knowing that I would have a busy week at work (Covering classes in all my lunch breaks) and several social engagements to attend to I wasn't looking forward to the trek to and from work each day. So I decided that I wasn't going to bother and checked into a hostel round the corner from the school. It is an idea that I have thought about many times before but never actually got round to doing.

And I have to say that it was an inspired idea!

alex and mistletoe

Tuesday I sent off for work with my small backpack to get me through the next couple of days- remembered to eat the extra chocolate from my advent calendar before leaving the house, of course. After work I checked into the hostel and had a shower before heading out for some Korean food with Sarah. Then it was off to the student Christmas party on a boat moored on the Thames.

It was a good night though I have to say that one Shakira tune and one from Juanes (another Colombiano) does not a latino room, as promised on the posters, make. Even if you do play them over and over. I didn't stay out that long really- home by midnight but it was a joy to be able to stay in bed later the next morning. Usually my alarm goes off shortly after six but for two days I didn't have to get out of bed until eight- hooray!


IMG_1096



I felt that I was really able to relax and enjoy myself rather than having to rush off at eleven like I usually do.

The next night was the closest that the school has to offer us for a Christmas party this year- a workshop in a pub. It was a good night and I was able to stay until the bitter end rather than running home bitter. After stumbling out of the pub at closing time I came across one of my students on his rickshaw

juan and rickshaw small

and he was only to happy to give me a run round the block. It was fun- I like rickshaws but they are very expensive in London.

I left the hostel the next day and despite promising myself I would go straight home I ended up back in the pub again but could scrape together enough money for a pint and a half before leaving.

Friday was the start of the Christmas parties at school because so many students were leaving

elisa and alessandro

I introduced the students to the wonders of crackers and mistletoe



alex nelly and max



Inevitably a lot of photos were taken

class

and after a hundred or so in the classroom I thought it best to get out for a bit.

alex and donkey

my donkey pencil case joined in the action too.



alex nelly jeannine yuli



we could hardly keep Yuli away from the mistletoe.

Then it was time for the pub again

alex and me

Where the Colombians told me many and varied stories about members of their families that have been kidnapped-why did they wait until after I bought the ticket to tell me? Gits!

I was saying that I needed some up to date photos of me for Penny to give the newspapers when I go missing in Colombia and the boys obligingly posed for a photo to go with the caption 'suspects wanted in connection with teacher disappearance'


kidnappers



I stayed at a friend's in Camden last night and didn't get to bed until six am. I was up at just after nine and out taking photos of the lock. Then I came home to catch up with my sister before heading up to bed to take a nap. But I have got a little distracted updating this.

camden tubecamdendoc marten shop

So my friends, I must go because I am knackered!

2 Comments:

At Mon Dec 18, 03:31:00 PM PST, Blogger Helen said...

just eight more working days until I am off- that is eight more days that I am working rather than a legitmate eight more days!

 
At Mon Dec 18, 08:32:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey H. why the ditching of the misbells pseudonym?

I got your letter the other day, it is so nice to receive a letter that is not a bill!

Hot and shitty in Australia... hopefully it storms tonight...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts