Friday, April 22, 2005

A Port, a Fort and a Resort (title lifted straight from Felixstowe tourist literature)

The way I see it, I could tell you everything that I am feeling right now and dig deep into the well of pain caused by my mother's passing. Or I could keep that to myself and come across as a superficial fool who got over the whole thing in a week. I am going for option two, some things should remain private.

People are asking where I am right now. I am back in my home town of Felixstowe, Suffolk. It is on the east coast of England and not too far from London, Ipswich and Norwich. Not helping?? well, try these maps


UK

Those of you who paid attention in Geography class will be aware that the above is a map of more than just Felixstowe. For those of you still confused, note where London is and then look at this fella

Where's Helly


And that is where I am. Felixstowe is an interesting place, no, really. It has been the site of a Dutch invasion, popular seaside resort, container port and place where I first got so drunk that I couldn't contain myself. Now some people think that Suffolk is all about this


Beware, wild animals



and there is a fair amount of those around, quite different from the soju-swilling ajummas that I am used to after three years in Korea. But grandmas often mean that there are grandchildren out there so it is not all the grey brigade. For me, Felixstowe is split into several distinct places. At one end there is Felixstowe Ferry, as pictured on previous posts, a gentle little fishing hamlet with golf course, greasy spoon cafe, wooden houses, yachts and, of course, fisherman. It is quiet and a great place for a Sunday afternoon walk.

Then there is 'our' beach, which is the bit nearest my first house here. It has ice cream vendors, beach huts and lights. Moving further along the beach you get to the really touristy part. In the old days, people used to come to Felixstowe for the fresh air and seaside fun that is more commonly pursued in sunnier climes these days. There are countless amusement arcades, with crane machines that don't grab, those annoying games with the coins balanced on shelves ('nearly got it that time, one more and they are definitely going to fall, sod that, I'll just try knocking the machine' BBBBBEEEEEEEPPPPP 'oops!'), seaside rock and candy floss aplenty. There is a minature railway which goes around and around, a boating 'lake' and crazy golf. We went there at night so the photos only really captured the lights


Felixstowe Pier

Charlie Mannings

The Prom

Pier and lights



This part of the beach is where young lads drive cars to impress girls who try their best to ignore them. And if the lights and the glamour of this part of Felixstowe is not for you then perhaps you might be more interested in a very Felixstowe hobby.

Now, as I said, Felixstowe is also a container port. It is a BIG port. Which means that there is a lot of traffic in and out of it. It also means that a lot of people are employed there. Right by the port, down the road, past the caravansite, past the Customs House, turn right at Landguard Fort (more on that another time) and there is a special place known at The View Point (it has a more official name but this will do if you are asking for directions). This is basically a car park where people go to sit in their cars and watch the ships loading, unloading and sailing away. It is a very popular thing to do at any time as this photo shows

A felixstowe hobby

And while I think that it is a strange thing to do, it is also one of my favourite things to do. The ships from Felixstowe literally carry everything all over the World. My mum could tell you which ships were going where just by looking at the names.

Felixstowe Docks

Some people may think that the Port of Felixstowe is an eyesore but for most people here it is part of a strange beauty. The other side of the View Point is an old fort and nature reserve

Landguard Fort watchtower

Now, why I am telling you all about Felixstowe? Because, in case you hadn't noticed, I am not in Korea anymore so this must be the start of the trip. Step one- England!

4 Comments:

At Fri Apr 22, 11:28:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still thinking of you.

 
At Sat Apr 23, 12:25:00 AM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

Thanks, Frodo.

 
At Sat Apr 23, 01:22:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry that was meant to be still thinking of myself. Just a jokin'

 
At Sat Apr 23, 11:49:00 AM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

Ah, and I thought you were being a sweetheart :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts