Friday, June 17, 2005

Jingle Bells

Until yesterday I thought that all buses and trucks in Vietnam used 'Jingle Bells' as their reverse warning. But it turns out that any Christmas carol will do and I am hearing 'Santa Claus is coming to town' and 'We wish you a Merry Christmas' accompanying large vehicles going backwards all over the place. Maybe it is a regional thing as I have left Saigon and am now in Dalat.

Dalat is 1475m above sea level and so it is a lot cooler here than elsewhere. It has a very different feel to Saigon. While it is, apparantely, firmly on the backpacker trail I am just not seeing many of them about. Plus we arrived yesterday after a seven hour bus trip and not only were people not throwing hotel rooms at us (not literally, don't be silly) but all the hotels appeared to be full. Yikes! No one has tried to sell me anything so I would feel a little neglected if it wasn't for the tendency of kids to say hi.

Finally found a place which seemed nice and sedate but later (ie: after I had decided to stay) turned into the noisiest hotel I have ever been in, quite possibly the noisiest place. The people above me are all clog-wearing hippos and like to run up and down the stairs shouting for fun. There must be some kind of amplifier on the front of the building as the traffic alone surely can't be that loud. Fortunately for me, I had just spent a week in Korea and am still catching up on sleep and so slept like a baby.

Couldn't get into anything on t'internet last night but seem to be having some luck this morning. In about 15 minutes I am off on a motorbike tour for the day- and no, they are not stupid enough to let me drive. Should be good. Dalat seems nice enough, I had dinner by the lake last night with a lad that I met off the bus. Small fish rippled at the surface, horses grazed freely on the grassy banks and in the background people slowly pedalled past in boats shaped like swans. Me? Well, after swearing off beer as I was leaving Korea two days ago, I felt that I deserved a couple by the lake last night. Purely for medicinal purposes, you understand. A Saigon and a 333 later and it was time for my pre-sleep nap.

I think that a week in Korea translates to about three days solid sleep here so I am nearly back on track. Photos as and when I find a place/the time to do it. I was going to just post a lot more of Rory with his nips out to fill your photo lust but have left the CD behind in my room. Rory, if you don't want this to happen then please transfer the agreed money into my bank account at your earliest convenience.

James, still no Lost Seouls for me- have you done something to offend Vietnam?

2 Comments:

At Fri Jun 17, 05:29:00 AM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

hum, Rory's nipples always on hand? What a thought.

 
At Fri Jun 17, 09:39:00 AM PDT, Blogger R said...

stop doing stuff and let me catch up...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts