Friday, September 02, 2005

Chilling

I am still in Kaikoura. I booked in for three nights and it has suddenly occured to me that this is the longest that I have stayed anywhere since reaching New Zealand. There isn't a huge amount to do here- see the whales, see the seals, see the dolphins- swim with the dolphins- except that they seem to be in hiding at the moment- chill out in one of the three lounges in the hostel, or by the pool, or in the spa- admire the snow capped mountains- eat the free cakes that the bakery delivers each day- read- stay in bed. It is great!

I don't have a lot of time in New Zealand- just over three weeks- and it seems that a lot of people take the same amount of time to travel the country. Which is a bit harsh on New Zealand really. It has a lot to offer and the only people that really benefit from the rush that people take is the bus companies. Most of the people I have met also say that they wouldn't be on the Magic/Stray/Kiwi Experience Buses if they had more time. I feel the same way- I would love to have months and months here to relax and enjoy all that the country has to offer- maybe not the bungee jumping and skydiving though- but I don't have time. I have to get to Wellington in the North Island tomorrow.

I thought that going on the Magic Bus would mean that I learnt far more about the country than just looking out of the window of an intercity bus but a lot depends on the guides. I have only met two so far and one was enthusiastic to the point of annoying people first thing in the morning and the second seems not to care much about enhancing our time here with stories and facts and stuff. But even the most annoying bus driver has nothing on that guy on the boat yesterday!! I had nightmares about him last night!

Being on the Magic Bus means early mornings nearly every day as the bus usually picks up between 7.30- 8am so that we arrive at the next stop in time to load us onto a local tour bus or send us out for some activity or other. Having given myself two days off the bus, it has been great to just lie in bed every morning. When I am not rushing in the morning I tend not to lose so much stuff- lost my pyjama trousers the other morning, dammit! I can also take some time out to update this thing and catch up on a few emails.

magic bus map

So Kaikoura may not be the most exciting stop on my trip but I am loving every minute of it!

1 Comments:

At Sun Sep 04, 05:07:00 AM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

very windy here in Wellington.

I forgot to mention that the map above is the route I am following around NZ.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts