Sunday, March 06, 2005

Living in a Winter Wonderland (last of the snow photos, promise!)

It was snowing when I went to bed on Friday night so it was no real surprise that it was still snowing when I woke up on Saturday. And I had nothing planned for the day except waiting for my mate, Sam, to arrive from Seoul. So I snuggled back down under the warm duvet and waited for Sam to call.

After a while I realised that maybe the buses weren't running because of the snow. So I picked up my phone to send a text message to someone I knew was going to Seoul that weekend. The message didn't get delivered and I got a screen of Korean to tell me why. This was the closest that my phone had got to working for the last few days- it goes a little mental in the cold.

Unperturbed I tried again. Same result. Decided to make a phone call instead and got a Korean message followed by an English message telling me what was up.



my phone goes a little mental in the cold


Yep, hadn't paid my phone bill so had had all outgoing call privileges suspended. So much for a quiet morning in bed. Time to fight my way through the snow to the LG telecom shop and finally pay the thing. The money had been sitting on my table for two weeks after all, pure laziness had slowed me down. Maybe I was really happy for the excuse to go out in the snow too.



Saturday morning snowy Bumpin

And it was a gloriously snowy day. The snow was now nearly up to my knee and still falling. It was like living in a snow globe. Awesome. Paid the bill, took some photos and came home.

Sam arrived that afternoon and, to be honest, we settled down for a few hours of Eastenders and beer. But we couldn't just cocoon ourselves away all night- I had promised Rory that I would pick something of his up from Bumpin and Sam wanted to go and play in the snow anyway- there was no snow in Seoul. Of course we took more photos.



knee deep in the snow


I feel that I have to put photos of Sam here because she would usually be out with James in Seoul on the weekend and so would have her photo splashed across his blog. I would hate for her to miss out on the attention.


finding cars in the snowfalling over in the snow

We struggled through the snow between several bars that night and met up with a bunch of people. We indulged in a little wind up snail racing- two toys we had picked up from the Family Mart earlier. We both fell in the snow and jumped in the snow and threw the snow. And finally Bumpin was closing and it was time to go home.


wind up snails
playing in Absolut


Which we did very slowly so as to not fall again. Reached my place, put my hand in my pocket to get the keys and just found a whole lot of emptiness. Nothing there at all, the cupboard was bare. Dammit! Back through the snow but no sign of the keys- chased down Ryan and sent him to the Warehouse bar but no keys there. By the time we got back to the house it was nearly seven am so we just woke up the landlord upstairs. I can't tell you how happy we were to be back inside and safe in our beds.


my house in the snow


Today the sun was out and the snow was turning from wonderful soft whiteness to slushy greyness. It took forever to walk to the bus terminal and even longer to get a cab home again. So I have been hibernating in my house ever since then. Playing with my computer, which has been playfully teasing me with threats of viruses and generally mucking me about and stressing me out and then working again for no apparent reason. Bless it....grrrrrrrr!

PS have discovered that it is fine to get the pizza delivery person to fight their way through the snow to my house. Twice. Strangely I felt no guilt at all.

PPS- Happy Mother's Day, Mum! Sorry I can't be there to spoil you

4 Comments:

At Sun Mar 06, 09:30:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheers for a wicked weekend mate. Were your keys in Bumpin? If not then maybe they will magically appear when all that snow melts.

 
At Mon Mar 07, 02:22:00 AM PST, Blogger Helen said...

Cheers for coming over. No sign of the keys anywhere but did manage to get about a hundred new ones cut today- intend to put them in hidey holes every hundred feet or so along the route from the bar to my house.

 
At Thu Mar 10, 06:01:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the key thing is a great idea- I was just wondering what your address is and when you're usually out of the house?

 
At Thu Mar 10, 09:16:00 PM PST, Blogger Helen said...

Well, my address is... hang on a second!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts