Monday, June 20, 2005

Am Alive

The clouds were closing in on the mountains around us. Binh flipped up the visor of his helmut and leaned back.

'I think that we might have rain today' he confided. I was hard pressed to disagree. Moments later the first drops appeared. Binh pulled over to the side of the road so we could unpack and get into the rain coats that he had remembered to bring this time. Back on the bike we hurtled along the road, clouds now obscuring the previously daunting drop a few feet away. Lightning flashed down and struck the trees on the mountain next to us. I was glad that we were on our way down.

I could barely see the road ahead now but it didn't seem to stop Binh waeving the machine through the scant traffic we came across. By the time we reached the roadside cafe for lunch we were both soaked to the skin. We sat and ate and watched the rain. Thunder booms filled the valley we were sitting in. The dampness now made itself known and I felt for the boy going past on his ox drawn wagon with no shelter other than his arms over his head.

After a time the rain began to get lighter and we headed off again. We were only a couple of hours from our destination and the end of a four day road trip. Soon it had stopped and we took off the raincoats and reapplied sunscreen. It was not long after that that I spotted the patch I had missed on my neck getting redder and redder in the rear view mirror. The sun was now scorching and too late I realised that my knees were also unprotected. More stupid sunburn to add to the collection.

It was a shock to the system to find myself in a city after three days on the road. We had seen lakes, valleys, mountains, cows, pigs, countless chickens, fish farms, passion fruit farms, rubber plantations, cinnamon trees and even an elephant appeared while we were eating breakfast in another Ethnic minority village yesterday morning. But I had forgotten that the bike got a lot more scary in heavier traffic, this wasn't herds of cows or goats we were trying to navigate now.

But we made it to Nha Trang in one piece. The English girls that I had met two days previously in Lak Lake had booked me a room and were waiting when I got here.

I had to say that I had an awesome time. Yes, it was expensive but I feel that it was worth it. Easy Riders seem to have set price lists so there was none of that feeling of being ripped off when talking to other travellers. I think that the elephant yesterday may well have been my favourite moment of the two weeks that I have been in Vietnam so far. He was so calm as his rider clambered about securing the seat on his back. Just awesome.

I have only been in the city for a couple of hours so forgive the lack of photos. I will endeavour to get my act together and get them online in the next couple of days. Also, for whatever reason, probably the same gremlin that won't let me onto Lost Seouls, I can't see the comments on the last post. Hopefully I will find a better connection tomorrow.

I will leave you now with visions of elephants over a breakfast of fresh baguettes and cheese.

2 Comments:

At Mon Jun 20, 10:40:00 AM PDT, Blogger R said...

That rain sounds so refreshing. It's 2:40am here and about 30 degrees...So muggy I can't sleep.

 
At Mon Jun 20, 08:58:00 PM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

hum, got up early this morning- earlyish anyway given that we were out drinking last night. Took a few photos of the beach and got all my photos put onto CD to share with you guys. Enter the fastest internet place here- nowhere to use the CD.

So I tried and you will just have to wait.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts