Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Where Magic Happens

I made it to Byron Bay in the end after a hungover sleep on the beach at Surfers. If the beach on Fraser is the Great Sandy Highway then the beach at Surfers must be the Great Sandy Jogging Track. It was jammers this morning with people walking, jogging, rollerblading (OK, I made that last one up) and generally having a good old stare at the poor hungover English girl on the beach in yesterday's clothes and last night's make-up. But I did get to watch some people having surfing lessons so I felt that I had done enough touristy stuff to be able to leave. I took photos too.

Then I got on the bus here. It took a couple of hours and I was sleeping as we crossed from Queensland into New South Wales. Shame really. It has taken me 22 hours on a bus (well, several buses) to get from Cairns to the NSW border but the moment passed unnoticed. I might have let out an extra loud snore by way of celebration or something but I doubt it.

I got straight off the Greyhound bus and onto the courtesy bus for the Arts Factory Lodge- a hostel I stayed at last time I was here and the only one that I bought a t-shirt from, which I found when I was home, much to my amusement. The Lonely Planet describes the Arts Factory as 'a 60s commune gone right' but I can't help thinking that it is like a holiday camp for hippies. At least there won't be long queues in the showers tomorrow as I believe that dreadlocks need no washing. In fact, most of these people look like they might ran away at the mere mention of soap (though after last night's shenanigans I am hardly one to talk).

Byron Bay is home of the painted VW camper, the dreaded blonde chicks, people looking for enlightenment and an assortment of other interesting types. I like it here:) even though popular consensus is that there are far too many tourists here- being a tourist myself I hardly notice. So I put my bag in the room, disturbing some guy having a kip there (yes, my first mixed sex dorm on this trip- I said I didn't mind the mixed dorm as long as the guys were cute, I want my money back!) and wandered into town for a something to eat and a look round.

Nothing screams 'welcome' to a poor hungover H like a sign saying 'PIZZA'. I managed to walk past the first couple of places but eventually had to give in and have an Apocalypse Now pizza. It was good and hit the spot then it was on to the beach.

It was dark already and the moment I looked up I saw a shooting star. Nice. I did my Astronomy homework once more (ie, looked at the two new constellations I learnt) and enjoyed the peace of the empty beach and the beauty of the night sky in all its glory.

On my way back to the hostel, a guy stopped me and pointed out Jupiter snuggled next to the crescent moon. Byron is just that kind of place.

4 Comments:

At Wed Aug 10, 03:20:00 AM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

I have some more photos to put on- maybe tomorrow- the whales ones and the Fraser Island ones. Just waiting for my brain to recover from last night's soju assault.

Rory, is there anything that I really shouldn't miss while I am here?

Happy Birthday James!

 
At Wed Aug 10, 11:56:00 PM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

Well, if I told you how much things cost then I would be blowing my cover on the eighty quid a week thing... but, since it is you asking- the bus pass from Cairns to Sydney cost 230AUD, this hostel is pricey and costs around 22AUD a night depending on where you are sleeping- the teepee is cheaper because it is so cold out there at night.

Even I have to walk past pizza places btw- sometimes.

 
At Thu Aug 11, 07:59:00 PM PDT, Blogger R said...

I played a gig at the arts factory once...

Places to go...

Well, wategos beach, the light house, railway hotel, beach hotel...And of course the beach cafe for breakfast...

Usually there is lots of good music to be found in Byron too...

 
At Thu Aug 11, 10:43:00 PM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

James, you would HATE it here. A guy got chatting to us at the church last night and was guessing our starsigns and babbling on about the cosmic reasons for things... hum.

Rory, think that I have done most of that. Did you play over at the bar or in the hostel?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts