Saturday, July 30, 2005

Things I have found out

I went to the Botanic Gardens here in Cairns yesterday and they were awesome. I walked along the mangrove boardwalk and took heed of the crocodile warning signs (you just don't get those in London!) before walking back along the Esplanade to the city centre (stopping at the hostel for a couple of hours nap). I saw a sign on the Esplanade that said 'no alcohol, no brawling, no camping' which left my 'To Do' list looking pretty empty for the day. Now at a loose end I decided to compile a list of things that I have learnt and that I want to share with you all. And here it is in no particular order:

  • It is possible to get sunburnt in the winter (if you choose to winter in Tropical North Queensland)
  • Malaysians can take more photos than Japanese
  • Japanese girls can spend so long in the bathroom that you wonder if they have melted
  • If you spend more than three hours in a spa, your fingers will still be wrinkly the next day
  • A Swiss girl can take more photos than was previously thought humanly possible
  • Every second person in Perth is English- the first is South African
  • Swiss people have never heard of Swiss roll
  • If you stop looking for a Korean restaurant one will appear
  • When it does appear it will be marginally tattier than the restaurants around it but not tatty enough to look authentically Korean
  • It is possible to miss people that you have only known for a couple of days
  • Norae bangs in Australia are only advertised in Korean
  • One chocolate bar will inevitably lead to another
  • My camera really hates damp weather (doesn't bode well for the English winter)
  • Pies are hard to resist
  • If you spill pie all down your t-shirt it may no come out in the wash no matter how much you love that t-shirt
  • If you hand feed a kangaroo it won't bite but it will slobber all over your hand
  • A koala's bum is a good place to wipe the kangaroo slobber off your hand
  • It is a lot harder to decide where to go next than you think it will be (Vicky and Clare, where are you when I need to know what to do!)

Yes, I am spending far too long on my own! But tomorrow that will change as I am off on a reef trip- that is to say that I am spending the day snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef- should be a laugh.

9 Comments:

At Sat Jul 30, 06:57:00 AM PDT, Blogger Les Becker said...

...and AGAIN, she's not wearing a hat! Why do you insist on cooking yourself in faraway places?

 
At Sun Jul 31, 02:01:00 AM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

I'm English!

 
At Sun Jul 31, 12:25:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm reading a book about some elses travels in Australia, (please don't feel I am betraying you, yours is by far the superior and more exciting write up)however he says of Faser Island "this is a truly beautiful place...one enormous sand dune with forest all over and a smattering of crystal clear lakes" from the empty beaches they see hump back wales and sharks. It may be a terrible place and he is simply writing to make it a better story...and though on our atlas it doesn't look too far I guess it probably is.
I love your list of things.
All the family keep asking how you are. Even my Aunty Isobel, and I proudly tell them of your amazing travels. I'm very impressed and in my retelling of your tales,I sound rather like a fan of a famous actress than your cousin. lots of love. xxx

 
At Sun Jul 31, 12:28:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I mean't whales don't you?? I did just get back from a camping/canoeing trip in Wales...lovely place!

 
At Sun Jul 31, 04:45:00 PM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

I didn't actually get sunburnt again I feel that I should point out! In fact, I have been smothering myself with factor 30 for the last few days and even used factor 50 on my face yesterday- the sun here is vicious.

Liz, read away, I love to read anyone's travel writing myself, I don't feel betrayed at all. I consider it all research. As for Fraser Island, I didn't make it there last time and haven't decided if it will make the final cut this time- will keep you posted, of course!

Hope you had a nice time in Wales!

 
At Wed Aug 03, 01:39:00 AM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

Not sure about this hat strap thing- how will I wash my hair?

I am staying at a mate's house so won't be updating until Saturday-- am spending most of tomorrow on a bus to Rockhampton- wish me luck!

 
At Wed Aug 03, 07:43:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Helen,
I tried to email you there but it came straight back. Your a/c must be full. Anyway Im off to Ireland today. Just wanted to say goodbye to you and enjoy the rest of your trip. I dont know when I will be online again but as soon as I am I will drop you a line. Love M

 
At Thu Aug 04, 07:01:00 PM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

Hotmail is defo not full (see, I have got Aussie) but then I guess that you won't be reading this now, Margo.

James, I know of which hat you refer... and I know where to get one. Maybe I can manage that for you before I leave.

 
At Tue Aug 09, 08:18:00 PM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

why thank you, Tania! Maybe you have a list you would like to share too...?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts