Wednesday, November 16, 2005

A Few Notes on Being Home

People keep asking me what it is like to be home. They ask me this everytime I come home. And the answer changes each time. Of course, it is an emotional time. There have been a lot of changes this year.

England also changes and confuses me. Last time I was home, just before this last trip, I discovered this new chip and pin thing- you know it as EFTPOS in Australia. So you hand over your card and type in your PIN, or you put your card in the machine and type your PIN or you hand over your card and are given a receipt to sign.

Now you see the confusion. So many ways to do the same thing and I never know which one I am meant to do. Then my sister tells me that I can no longer buy a ticket on a bus in Central London as I get on the bus, I have to purchase one before. The old open backed Routemaster buses have been decommissioned and put back into service while I have been away. The Guardian newspaper has changed size and shape.


3 british litter


Also, while I am 'at home' in England, I don't actually have a home here anymore. I am staying with my very generous, long suffering sister, on an airbed in the living room. That is hardly the same as being back in your own bed and actually able to unpack your bag once and for all. And I don't feel like I have just the one home anymore- I get homesick for Australia, Ireland, Korea and England at various times. Even though I am back in the UK I sometimes get homesick for the England that I used to live in seven years ago before I started this transient life.

6 bed sweet bed


I left England on 18th November 1998 and last night I met up with the people that I left with back then, Amanda and Des. While it feels that my friends have got on with life (got married, bought houses, had kids, got a career etc) my life feels a bit like it hasn't changed that much. While they now talk of trips to Ikea, I am still talking about drinking and clubbing. It can make me feel like I have failed to grow up.

But in a good way! I love my life, as I am fond of telling people. I have very proud of what I have achieved over the last seven years- all the places I have been to, the people that I have met and the ways in which I have changed. I have to admit though that arriving back in England has made me miss Korea even more- rather, the people in it. Even if I met up with all of my mates here in London every week, I won't have a social life as healthy (or unhealthy) as I had in Korea.

I have spent the last couple of days wandering round London, between job interviews, and of course taking photos. I love being a tourist in London- all those famous places that I used to take a bit for granted when I lived here and things which didn't exist back then, like the London Eye.

4 skyline

This is the skyline, looking back the City of London from the Golden Jubilee pedestrian bridge that runs along the side of Hungerford Bridge out of Charing Cross. There was a gorgeous sunset that night
5 golden jubilee bridge
This is the Golden Jubilee Bridge itself- this is also a newcomer since I left London
9 national gallery
The National Gallery lives alongside Trafalgar Square, it used to be across the road but the road has been rebuilt into a pedestrian area which has opened up the Square in a fantastic way
2 big ben and the houses of parliament
The really quite famous Big Ben and Houses of Parliament
1 london eye
And the London Eye, now one of the biggest attractions in the city.
Right, I am just waffling on now for lack of anything really interesting to write. So I will go and fill in an application form or two.

6 Comments:

At Wed Nov 16, 11:16:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that picture of the London Eye. Have you been on it? It is quite cool. That sunset was amazing, people were actually standing outside their own houses taking picture here!

 
At Wed Nov 16, 11:54:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Hels..
Great photos...as usual. If you get homesick for Ireland you are always welcome here.
Ner

 
At Wed Nov 16, 07:07:00 PM PST, Blogger R said...

Hey Helen, got your Fiji turtle shirt today - I reckon it's fantastic! I shall wear it out at the earliest convenience!

I enjoyed reading your lengthy hand written letter too - I haven't received one of them in years!

I will respond properly soon, but right now I have to dash off to do some boring menial work in order to pay the rent.

 
At Wed Nov 16, 07:29:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for the tour!

Ummm... we haven't sent "Helen's Hat", yet. Because Canadian Mark keeps pilfering the Christmas Present we are stuffing inside it...

 
At Thu Nov 17, 02:27:00 AM PST, Blogger Helen said...

I have been on the London Eye, twice and it was kinda tough to stand next to it and not going running off to buy a ticket to go again. But I was just killing time on the South Bank until I had to meet a mate in Waterloo. I did see something weird though- a girl who seemed to be holding a bunch of brightly coloured curly straws which turned out to be eight inch long fingernails- minging!

I am sure that the length to width ratio on the Guardian is different- therefore it has changed shape.

I will be back in Ireland as soon as I can be :)

Glad you liked the shirt, Rory. I loved it (and in fact, got it back from the shop and was showing to someone when I realised that it was the same pattern as the sarong that I had bought myself the day before!). I have some photos of Katie wearing it to send you too. It just looked so out of place in the British winter sun. I always try and pop a letter into parcels as no-one seems to send them anymore.

I am intrigued by this present- is it alcohol at all:)

 
At Thu Nov 17, 05:52:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, HELEN! Would law-abiding Canuckians send booze illegally through the mails?! Cough medicine. Cough medicine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts