Sunday, March 13, 2005

The bells, the bells...

It was easy to ignore the doorbell this morning. I was snuggled deep into my bed and I knew that it was cold on the other side of the duvet. Plus I knew that I had fallen asleep with my make up again last night. Since it was only my door receiving the pummelling I knew that it wasn't the Mormons. So it could only be my landlord, a guy who I swear thinks that I understand more of what is going on than I actually do- probably from my tendency to smile and nod while he is talking. Even when I do understand I can't reply which makes the whole thing a frustrating exercise.

I held my breath until he went away, footsteps fading down the hallway, pushed my head further into the pillow, smiled in satisfaction and went back to sleep.

Not so lucky later in the day. I was still in my dressing gown but since it covers me more than most clothing I felt that it was OK to open the door when the landlord came a-calling- I had also sorted out my make up and looked a bit more presentable.

He wasn't his usually smiley self. Through the use of his Korean, my Konglish, a piece of paper and artless clowning around I discovered what he had to tell me---- that I had to be out of the house in seven days. I thought that he was moving me so I asked him where to and he vaguely waved his hand to the outside of the house. So I guess that his answer was anywhere but here. Panicking I called my co-teacher and she spoke to him as he got increasing irritated on the phone. Then she spoke to me. Seems that there has been a problem with the rent. And it is also a year since I moved in so I guess that the contract is up on the place. But the main problem seemed to be the rent- or lack of it.

My rent is paid by my director. Or not. My co-teacher has spoken to my director and told me not to worry. I guess that I won't know what is going on until I get to work tomorrow. Dammit, I just got two new keys cut.



I'm quite fond of my gaff- can't live without my internet connection


And don't be surprised if you live in Gangneung and you hear a backpack being pulled up the stairs to your house one morning- t'is only Helen and I don't take up much room!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts