Wednesday, March 30, 2005

You'll never walk alone

My mum knows everyone in Felixstowe. It has been a running family joke for years that she can't even make it to the end of the driveway without bumping into someone she knows. It used to drive me crazy as a kid as it took so long to get anywhere as we had to stop and talk to everyone on the way. We would even bunp into people she knew while we were on holiday--- in other countries. As I have got older, I have admired this quality in my mum, the fact that she is so approachable and friendly. The fact that she is well known and that people want to take time out of their day to see what she is up to.

me and my mum

I can make it from one end of Felixstowe to the other without seeing anyone I know. I left there nearly thirteen years ago so it is hardly surprising. Plus, I look very different now from back then when I was a very slim, glasses wearer with short hair. I can travel incognito or surprise old classmates in our local if I so wish. Assuming that I recognise them of course.

My sister is always telling me that I am turning into mum. And I know what she means. I left my house today to go and run a few errands in town, bumped into a friend and went for coffee (yes, I don't drink coffee but it has always been known to me as 'going for coffee' because that is what my mum does. Sometimes it is known as going for 'coffee and a cake' but I digress). After leaving the coffee shop I saw one of my old adult students who has been trying to meet me for a drink. We agreed to have dinner before I leave town. Then I saw an elementary school student of mine who smiled and waved. The guy from my local store smiled at me as I walked past his shop and the pizza people tried to get my attention (I don't want it known how well the pizza people know me but I don't even have to give my name when I call, or say what kind of pizza I want..).

Now I know why Mum has never seriously entertained the idea of leaving Felixstowe. It is nice to be somewhere that you are known, knowing that you will rarely leave the house without seeing someone to, at least, wave to. I have been here for two years now and taught many people. My social life is excessively healthy- four nights out is kind of a quiet week for me. I like being part of the community here even if it is just the expat one. It is not going to be easy to leave Gangneung.

(WARNING: posts will become increasingly sentimental for the next three weeks or so as I get ready to leave Korea for home and the start of the adventure. I would apologise but if I stopped posting then I might have to do something practical like packing boxes and that really would ruin my day)

5 Comments:

At Tue Mar 29, 10:59:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Helen,
Like this piece you wrote of your Mom. She really is a great woman. Im glad I met her in Mokpo when I did. See u soon in Gwangju.

 
At Tue Mar 29, 11:03:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Margo make sure you get on teh right train. Otherwise we ain't waiting for you.

 
At Tue Mar 29, 11:03:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last one was me

 
At Wed Mar 30, 01:10:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Which time are you going then I might have an idea which one to get. Text me your answer or email me. Catch you later little bro.

 
At Wed Mar 30, 07:46:00 PM PST, Blogger Helen said...

Steady on now, Tania, anyone would think that I had taken you to one side in the bar and asked you to post nice things about me on this blog... which I didn't, of course! Ahem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts