Friday, March 25, 2005

Where has all the snow gone?

I remember promising no more snow photos but that was before it snowed again. Which it did, much to my surprise, yesterday. I went to bed in Spring and woke up again in Winter. I think that I am getting enough winters as it is this year- leaving Korea in Spring to end up in a wintery Oz and NZ before heading into fall in New York.

Then again it is so pretty and makes for an easy teaching day once you realise that you just can't teach kids while there is snow on the ground!

snow bike

Rory- he didn't throw it

snowball fighting


Mind you, I woke up this morning to find that it had almost all gone. Just as snow should be- pretty and then gone.

I went to my favourite kalguksu restaurant today. That is spicy noodle soup. True to Korean form, the restaurant would be closed down back home for the lack of hygiene. But it seems to be a thing in Korea, the tattier the restaurant the more popular it is. A Korean friend has a theory as to why this is- secretly, people like the scruffy restaurants because they look different and are more interesting than the nicer places. This place is great for the food and because it is in an old Korean house. Therefore, it is a series of little rooms where you sit on the floor to eat off small tables.

the writing on the walls

Also you can write on the walls, floors and tables. Mostly it seems to be a list of people that love the food and each other

restaurant

And no wonder, the food is fantastic!

the pierre de resistance

After lunch I went to get my hair cut. I love getting my hair cut in Korea, I used to hate it back home. Mainly because of the small talk. I can't do that here because I can't speak the language but the hairdressers don't seem to bother the Korean clients either. Then there is the lack of appointments- just walk in and get a cut. And the price- four pounds fifty for a cut and blowdry- and my Korean friends tell me that I am paying too much.

I feel like I just stepped out of a salon so must go and walk down the streets, flicking my hair from side to side

3 Comments:

At Sat Mar 26, 12:39:00 AM PST, Blogger Helen said...

I am very stinky and I love Margo and Frodo very much. I want them to have the bean bag rather than Rory.

 
At Sat Mar 26, 12:39:00 AM PST, Blogger Helen said...

Frodo you fiend that is identity fraud!

 
At Mon Mar 28, 02:05:00 AM PST, Blogger Helen said...

I think that the bottled water that I insist on having flown in from the Pyrenees to wash my hair with drives the price up a little or something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts