Saturday, May 14, 2005

Friday the Thirteenth

Yesterday was Friday the thirteenth so I considered it prudent not to do much. I went to Tower Hill and bought presents for six of my friends in Gangneung. They should go to Bumpin in around ten days to pick them up, put them down and pick them up again. This will make more sense when they see them.

I am at my mum's house now but have forgotten the cable to connect my camera to my computer so there. No photos this weekend, probably. And I think that you have seen enough of Felixstowe as it is.

On Monday, I am going to Bristol to see my school friend, Cheryl, and her new baby, Daniel. Back on Tuesday ready to go drinking in the evening. The following Monday, and this is the exciting bit, I am going to DUBLIN! I haven't been back to Dublin since I left to go to Korea. I lived there for around two years during which time I worked in an office (and slept in a tent), managed a backpacker hostel, worked in another office and in the evenings at the National Concert Hall (I now know what monks and nuns do in their spare time. I am sure that Ireland is one of those rare countries where a 'title' list always includes Mr, Mrs, Miss, Ms, Father, Sister, Brother..) and did my TEFL course.

I moved to Dublin to get a 'proper' job after getting back from Australia. I had just enough money to get to Dublin and live for two weeks, so getting a job was pretty important. But I had never been before and rose to the challenge. At that time in Ireland, there were more jobs than people so it didn't take long to find work. It took a damn sight longer to realise that I wasn't going to get a 'proper' job. I worked for nine months then went to South Africa for the best part of two. Back to work for another three months and off to Turkey, six more months and off to Korea.

I love Ireland and was planning to visit there with my mum, who I believe gave me this love, this time home. She may not be here but I am still going to do our trip.

I am also meeting Nerissa and Barry, who I know from Mokpo, and Roisin, their daughter who was still a bump last time I saw her. Exciting stuff!

5 Comments:

At Sat May 14, 01:50:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since both Helen and Tania said not to lurk, I shall post the first comment. Dublin: I went there with my parents a few years ago on a guided tour, and the thing that stands out from the tour guide's commentary was the virtue of the "liquid bread" that provided essential vitamins and nutrients to the pregnant women. Of course the "liquid bread" he was talking about is now one of the most famous Irish exports...

 
At Sun May 15, 03:29:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Steve as as Irish person I can tell you we use any excuse to drink Guinness. It is known as the working man's breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It is full of iron and therefore very good for pregnant women. But only half glasses. If you believe that. Helen dear say hello to my beautiful country and take lots of pictures. Esp if you are around Thomas Street.

 
At Tue May 17, 01:18:00 AM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

Much as I love Ireland, M, even I am hard pressed to marry Thomas Street and beautiful country

 
At Tue May 17, 02:05:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats ok Helen,
Im not keen on marrying it myself or any nearby country. But thanks anyway. M

 
At Tue May 17, 06:06:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi M - actually I wouldn't mind having Guiness for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (and snack) myself! I visited there in winter so couldn't enjoy the Ring of Kerry
due to fog. I will be back there again in the future, and kiss the Blarney Castle stone which I couldn't do at that time. I hope Helen's photos will refresh my memories -- pretty sure it will be an interesting post.

Steve

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts