Thursday, November 17, 2005

Life Changes Everything

At 4.30am the cat dashed into the room, clambered over me and jumped up onto the sofa. He walked along the sofa and jumped onto the windowsill from the air of the chair. He pottered over to his bed and sat down. And promptly threw up all over the windowsill. It was the smell that finally rused me from my bed.

The cat ran from the room and back to my sister's room where he spent a nice vomitless night curled up next to her. And I couldn't get back to sleep after the clear up job. Not until around 7am. For the first time in a long time I was awake when my sister got out of bed to go to work. Much to her surprise.

But what was keeping me awake? Well, I got offered a job yesterday which I accepted. Then found out the hourly rate of pay was a little short of decency. I am still going to start the job next week- it is a teaching job in Central London- for the experience but it made me stop and realise that I can't stay on that salary. It is significantly less that the salary I was on when I left the UK seven years ago and much as I love teaching, I would like to be able to move out of my sister's place at some stage (as I am sure would she).

So I am going to have to rethink my plan of staying and teaching English in London. I think that it might be time for a change of direction but not a complete change as teaching is a job that I love. So I think that I will have to try a different kind of teaching. The thoughts racing through my head kept me awake during the wee small hours. And I found out that it is still getting light before seven am though I am sure that won't be lasting for long. When I lived in England I never really realised that our long summer days and long winter nights were not the experience of all nations.

When I finally got out of bed I found out that Australia had qualified for next year's World Cup- fair play to them, hope we get a chance to play each other. I have to go now, the cat is sitting my lap and rubbing his head on my fingers making it a little tricky to type. He seems to be under the impression that he is forgiven for last night's shennanigans. Huff.

3 Comments:

At Thu Nov 17, 12:13:00 PM PST, Blogger Helen said...

Patience, big Bruv, patience. Go and watch your triops grow.

 
At Fri Nov 18, 01:49:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Hels...Congrats on the job my sympathies on the salary. Awaiting your master plan.

Ner

 
At Fri Nov 18, 04:13:00 AM PST, Blogger Helen said...

Cheers Ner- hope you had a Happy Birthday yesterday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts