Sunday, January 21, 2007

It is all about the legroom

I have to say that buses in Colombia are pretty amazing when it comes to the leg room allocated. I have only been on two, admittedly, but when the person in front of me leans back they are not resting their head on my chest- a welcome change from Vietnam or indeed megabus!

I travelled overnight from Bucarmanga to Santa Marta last night. Actually I spent most of yesterday at the bus terminal as I wasn´t sure what to do after checking out of the hostel and being stuck with my bags all day so I just went there. I was a bit nervous about the overnight thing but most of the passengers seemed to have their kids with them so I figured that it couldn´t be that bad.

And it wasn´t. Once the overly loud movie had finished everyone just settled down for the night. I had two free seats so made myself nice and comfy then a girl woke me up in the middle of the night to take over one of my spare seats. I don´t know why and it took me some time to get back to sleep- mainly because I suddenly noticed the awesome night sky through the window. So I spent quite a lot of time looking at that and the various night life of small Colombian towns passing the window.

Cruised into Santa Marta at around eight thirty this morning and came to the legendary Hotel Miramar. I slept for a while and then went to the beach. People yelled ´hey white lady´at me which was fair enough as I was definitely the whitest person anywhere near the beach. Trying to avoid past sunburnt mistakes I was only out for a couple of hours before heading back to the hotel. Which is where I am now- having a couple of beers and chatting to the other residents.

So far so good. I might be here for a few days, chilling and the like. ANything to take away the bitterness of not seeing anyone eating ants in Bucaramanga. THough the cousin of Alex´s cousing assures me that people from Bogota believe that those in Bucaramanga eat little else. That might explain why none of them smile much!

2 Comments:

At Sun Jan 21, 11:47:00 PM PST, Blogger R said...

Hey I just noticed your new banner.

Nice.

Who's that drunk idiot being carried...

Oh, wait a minute...

 
At Mon Jan 22, 08:27:00 AM PST, Blogger Helen said...

I changed it a month ago- no flies on you, Ror!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts