Monday, May 16, 2005

Doing three things at once

I got up early this morning as I am going to Bristol. But it would appear that I have a slight blog addiction problem which sees me doing this before I go. Hum.

Ah well, back to Felixstowe this weekend but instead of the usual whirl of boxes and packing we had visitors. My cousin brought her husband and two kids over to meet their Great-great Auntie Doll. Me and my sister were up at the crack of dawn (well, Penny was up that early but I was about before midday) cleaning the house from top to bottom as we had the estate agent coming over to look at it.

By lunchtime we were done and off to meet up with our (extended) family at a local historical site. We met up with Liz, her American husband, Mike, and two kids, Owen, who has a great sense of fun and adventure and his younger brother, Dylan, who is a bundle of smiles and freckles. We had arranged to meet them at Landguard Fort near Felixstowe Docks. The Fort has been there in one form or another for a few hundred years. When I was little you couldn't get into it but there were plenty of interesting ruins to climb over. There was even a tower though our parents would never let us go up there. When we were old enough to go there alone we found out why. It is the kind of place that people like to go to do things that they can't do in other places and they leave plenty of evidence behind.


landguard fort


This wasn't a problem on Saturday though as they have closed off all the bits that we used to explore for free but now you can pay and go inside. Most of the artifacts are in the museum next door. When I was a brownie I won a prize for cleaning a key to the Fort the best out of everyone, probably because I wouldn't let anyone else near the Brasso. For some reason, despite my imploring, no-one else seemed interested in hunting this key down, to be honest, I might not have recognised it myself.


tunnels


Now Americans just do tourism better. While we Brits spurned the opportunity to spend a measly 20p to purchase a guide book, therefore leaving us wandering around saying 'I wonder what this hole was for...', Mike rented the audio equipment and now knows more about the Fort than is healthy. I will be expecting a full written report on my desk before the office closes today.

We ran around the fort and tried to find a place where the guns would actually be aimed at the sea rather than at other bits of the fort. Owen had a go at playing with the mortar shells, Mike consulted his audio guide book and the rest of us walked around and chatted.


owen


Then it got close to tea-time so it was time to hit the amusement arcades down at the beach (Liz told me that there might be trouble if we didn't go, in fact, and let's just say that it wasn't the kids throwing the tantrums).

penny drop

We changed some money into coppers and played on the penny drops. I snuck off to losing a couple of quid trying to get a Bagpuss out of the crane machines and Penny found money that other people had left behind in the machines, in true pikey fashion.


dylan


Dylan seemed to win the most with his devil-may-care attitude towards winning, the joy of putting money in the slot overwhelmed that when money actually came out to a certain extent. Eventually we had to pull Mike out of there kicking and screaming.


family amusements


Stopping for chips and refusing the seaside rock,

seaside rock

we lapped up the seaside atomosphere until it was time to go back to Auntie Doll's and storytime for the boys. After dinner we went back to our house, put the boys down for the night and shared a bottle of wine.


story time


Sunday was a less eventful day to some degree. The cat was petrified to wake up in a house full of strangers who seemed to be everywhere and did a bunk at the earliest opportunity. We went through mum's record collection ('What's a record?' asked the ever curious Owen) and saw our cousins off on their way back to Reading. We came back to Purfleet and that is it really. I would have put more photos on but I really have to go now.

9 Comments:

At Mon May 16, 07:17:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know two interesting things about Landguard Fort. First is that it was the last place foreign invaders landed on British shores. Colonel Darrell had to fight off the invading dutch hoardes sometime in the 17th century. Second thing is(and this one sounds pretty unlikely, I don't remember when or where I heard it and have no evidence to support it so take it or leave it...) the peninsula around the fort is one of the three lowest rainfall areas in the UK and based on rainfall alone is technically a desert.

Oh, and as a young teenager there were no places in the fort that you couldn't go if you knew the ways in. I used to love clambering around the secret areas. Fascinating as it is to have a guided tour and proper history of the place I do feel that much of the fun has been taken away by barbed wire fences and liability laws!

Have fun in the West Country with all your lovers!

 
At Mon May 16, 07:19:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, first part of that comment is a bit geeky isn't it? Helen, please confirm for the reading audience that I am not usually THAT much of a geek.

 
At Mon May 16, 08:04:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what? I just rode my MOPED to work at the LIFE INSURANCE company. Maybe I am a geek after all.

Sorry to have bothered you all.

There used to be a time when I was by far the coolest of my family. Hmmm, happy memories.

 
At Mon May 16, 08:23:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a great weekend, thankyou. I'm glad you didn't get a photo of Mike with his high tops, white socks with his audio info around his neck. He was the perfect American tourist. The kids loved seeing themselves on the computer. How exciting, I feel like we're famous!!

 
At Mon May 16, 08:26:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gareth, perhaps you could compare notes with Mike... And be Geeks together.

 
At Mon May 16, 08:28:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It struck me for the sake of balance and constistency that I would also write three comments. Helen, the children love the harmonica, please do come over and listen to how much they love it!!

 
At Mon May 16, 04:47:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have computer by my bed now. I can now leave more messages. yey.

 
At Tue May 17, 01:12:00 AM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

Phew, turn your back for five minutes and the family have gone mad posting comments.

Gareth, I refuse to comment on whether or not you are a geek (but he is).

Liz, I do have that photo of Mike, not only dressed like you described but also listening intently to the audio device. I just didn't have time to post it. If the kids love the harmonica half as much as we did then I am surprised that it is a comment that you are leaving and not a horse's head in the post you are sending.

Frodo, if you are going to leave a comment, make it good!

James, the kids are cute and that is that.

I feel that I should also point out that I don't have many 'lovers' in the West Country, that is just the way the folks over here refer to everyone.

(thank goodness for staying at someone's house with broadband!)

 
At Wed May 18, 08:30:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a geek is only uncool if you are unaware that geeks are now cool.

"A couple of quid on the crane machine..." Hahahahahaha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts