Sunday, July 17, 2005

Singapore once more

Passing through three time zones today- Singapore is an hour ahead of Vietnam and Australia moves me a couple more towards night. I am back in Singapore airport- always a joy to be here. It is like they took a dream of the perfect airport and then made it real. This free internet is a boon.

I have just treated myself to a new Lonely Planet guide. It is a combined Australia/New Zealand On a Shoestring one and it had attached to the front a bottle opener/keyring almost identical to the one I lost in the snow back in February and have been unable to replace since then. So it was a sign, you see. Obviously the Lonely Planet folk don't see anything ironic at all in giving out free keyrings to backpackers- hum.

My new book is smaller than either the Oz or NZ guides so not sure what it will have in it but I am sure that it will be more than enough to keep me busy for the next ten weeks or so.

I am a little scared though since I looked at yahoo weather this morning to find out that it is only nine degrees in Perth today- maybe a little higher in the afternoon. I was looking forward to not sweltering all of the time but a little sun might be nice(!) Ah well, it might give me a chance to wear the jacket I got made in Hoi An. And, indeed, to make use of those jeans I have been lugging around for the last seven weeks. Pity that my only shoes (as opposed to sandals) are now in a bin in Sapa, having been waterlogged for longer than is necessary.

But it is an excuse for some shoe shopping so it can't be all bad!

Rory- where's Ben?

6 Comments:

At Mon Jul 18, 02:20:00 AM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

Where is everyone? You demand photos- I spend three hours doing photos and then only one person comments!!! Come on, guys, I am feeling all neglected here.

 
At Mon Jul 18, 09:36:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Helen, I just wanted to wish you continued good luck in your travels and let you know how much I'm enjoying your writing and photos! Thank you so much for sharing. I am travelling vicariously through you!

 
At Tue Jul 19, 03:14:00 AM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

Now that's more like it!

 
At Wed Jul 20, 05:44:00 AM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

And I think of you sweating to death in the classroom every time I spend another day sightseeing and doing nothing like work at all :)

 
At Fri Jul 29, 02:18:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am only waiting to see the picture of Adelaide...you know, the whales and emus and tassie devils and kangaroos and koalas and bandicoots and betongs and dingoes and seals...and did you get a picture of the one that bit me???

 
At Fri Jul 29, 06:04:00 PM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

I did indeed get a photo of the one that bit you but you'll have to wait

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts