Monday, July 18, 2005

Strewth!







I am sitting in a convenience store, eating a packet of Twisties and drinking a Diet Coke. Which can mean only one thing- I am in Australia! Perth to be precise. I arrived into the cold last night-- about 30 degrees lower than when I woke up in Saigon- shivered for a bit and got the shuttle bus to the hostel. Arriving at 2am is not recommended but I rang the guy and woke him up and in I went.

Today I have been wandering around Kings Park which sits on Mount Eliza overlooking the city of Perth. In fact, I walked around the park twice because I didn't have any batteries in my camera the first time. I finally found a place that sold them and promptly dropped one of them into the bin as I was trying to change them. Weirdly, no-one gave me a second glance as I fished around elbow deep in the rubbish trying to find it. I couldn't but managed to get one of the old ones back out.

It is very clean here and the skies are fresh and blue. It is much quieter than Vietnam and no-one has tried to sell me postcards or offered me a motorbike in hours now. But it is good. I feel quite relaxed.

I plan to go to Fremantle tomorrow and see the port and the beach. Maybe even watch the sunset from the beach. Then I have to plan my escape from WA and find my way over to the East Coast- easier said than done, I think.

It is very odd to be in an English speaking country once more. I am sure that I am the one that looks like a moron as I can't talk properly as I keep thinking that people don't understand me. There was a group of teenagers on the plane on their way back from Canada with their teacher. They had such strong Aussie accents that it made me chuckle. But not nearly as much as them hearing other people speak Aussie for the first time in months- they kept asking their teacher if they sounded like that and commented on how 'ocker' their accents were.

Right, had better go- internet is not nearly as cheap as in Asia and I have run over the 15 minutes mark and am determined not to fall into the 1 hour category.

6 Comments:

At Mon Jul 18, 06:35:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

G'day Helen. I loved the pics from Saga (?). So beautiful. My personal favourite was the pic of Mr Squirrel in the conical hat (what are they called???). Have one fo those beers that we enjoyed in the Down Under pub for me.

Ner

 
At Mon Jul 18, 02:23:00 PM PDT, Blogger Les Becker said...

Glad to know you've arrived safely in Australia - now that is one country I've seen pics of; my parents went about 10 years ago. I'm looking forward to your pics, though, Helen, because all I remember is my mom on a camel. I didn't even know they HAD camels in Australia. I'd much rather see a platypus.

 
At Tue Jul 19, 08:54:00 PM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

Am going to the place where you can feed wild dolphins if that is any good to you..

 
At Thu Jul 21, 07:50:00 PM PDT, Blogger Les Becker said...

Can the dolphin be riding a camel...?

 
At Mon Jul 25, 05:50:00 AM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

weirdly there was camel riding just next to the dolphins but I hadn't seen your comment then otherwise I would surely have attempted to get that shot for you.

 
At Tue Jul 26, 12:35:00 PM PDT, Blogger Les Becker said...

That's okay... there are camels at the Toronto Zoo. You can even get spit on by one there, but I'm not sure what you have to do to get spit on (by a camel, at least. I can tell you how to get spit on by a people, 'though...).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts