Sunday, January 29, 2006

Happy Year of the Dog

I got a phone call on Monday night from Sam- erstwhile heroine of Lost Seouls. She told me that she would be in London the next day and it seemed a good idea to meet up with her during one of my endless lunch breaks.

We met, we ate dak galbi

sam and dak galbi

then I made her come to my class.

Then we went for pints at O'Neills in Chinatown.

me and sam

After a couple of pints and some great fried food it was time for her to leave. As we walked towards the pub door I said that it would be weird that it wouldn't be Seoul outside that door- given that I hadn't seen Sam since she left the land of the endless ojinga last March.

chinatown

'I don't know though,' she said and stepped to one side so I could see the lanterns adorning the street outside in preparation for Chinese New Year this weekend.

Then we got in a black cab- something I haven't done since I had a boyfriend rich enough to pay for one- and pootled off to Victoria Coach Station so young Sam could make her way home.


sam in the taxi

My students insisted, as have countless people before them, that me and Sam look the same- I just don't see it myself

in the taxi

it was good to see her before she returns to Korea this week with fiance in tow.

4 Comments:

At Mon Jan 30, 04:18:00 AM PST, Blogger Helen said...

about sixteen thousand won

 
At Wed Feb 08, 05:55:00 PM PST, Blogger R said...

Dalk Kalbi... Blarg. I want photos of Sam gyup sal...

 
At Wed Feb 08, 11:06:00 PM PST, Blogger Helen said...

Well I am going to the Korean restaurant again on Friday but then again I am going with a bunch of Muslims so sam gyup sal is unlikely.

Took my students to Harrods yesterday and the Turkish Muslims were transfixed with the ham counter.

 
At Thu Feb 09, 11:05:00 PM PST, Blogger Helen said...

Slacking on the Korean food or the lack of updates?

been busy as hell recently what with one thing and another- theatre going, pub going, drinking during class time with my students, studying Spanish, visiting travel fairs, planning lessons, buying a new phone etc

If I get a minute over the weekend I will see what I can do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts