Monday, January 16, 2006

How Korean are you?

My students tease me about being Korean. One of myJapanese students was lamenting the lack of fellow countrymen in her class- 'all the students are Korean and the teacher is Korean too!'

Technically I am not Korean but sometimes I wonder. For example, I really have to force myself to keep my shoes on in people's houses. Because they do. But it feels wrong, oh so wrong. When I am hungover I find myself craving spicy food rather than the traditional bacon buttie. I try to eat everything with chopsticks because it is too awkward to use a knife and fork. I never use the red board marker to write someone's name.

But worse than that. Since New Year I have put my age up a year. When I see people kissing in the streets I am quite taken aback. If the TV newsreader shows even a little cleavage I am shocked to the core. I can see the downfall in societal values whenever I see a woman smoking in public, rather than in the toilets as is acceptable.

When my Colombian student beckoned me over using his hand with the palm facing up I nearly punched him.

I haven't stopped requesting a visit to the norae bang at the end of the night yet. I keep calling my school a hagwon and forgetting the English word.

I feel more displaced than a lot of my students. I have even referred to London as Seoul on occasion.

But some things are much easier than I thought they would be. Since I left London in 1998, I have always sworn that I could not return because there is no way that I could face the daily commute again. Now, a mere seven weeks into working, I see that time on the train as a good place to catch up with my reading. I don't find the people here to be as rude as I remember, mind you, I don't find them to be as English as I remember either.

Overall, I think that working with international students in a school in Central London is a good compromise for me- I am neither here nor there.

7 Comments:

At Mon Jan 16, 11:04:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Helen,

Are you saying 'uhuhuh' when someone else is speaking, eating with your mouth open, giggling behind your hand when you see a whitey, hawking flem (sp?) on the street, demanding more sidedishes for free, or seeing your mobile phone as a bodily appendage... or doing your makeup on the bus???
Well, cut it out!

p

 
At Tue Jan 17, 04:49:00 AM PST, Blogger Helen said...

How did you know? Are you having me followed?

I do indeed say uhuhuh all the time when people are speaking and see my hand phone as an important part of my person. Hum, make up on the bus? Not yet but I have taken to running a mascara wand over my eyelashes before my working day.

It is too confusing being an English Korean hanging out with a bunch of South Americans!

 
At Wed Jan 18, 04:37:00 AM PST, Blogger Helen said...

Touching my glass when someone is refilling it comes so naturally that I had forgotten it was a Korean thing! Though I am always slightly perturbed when they then just pour a drink for themselves without handing me the bottle to do it for them.

I managed to stop bowing after just a couple of weeks out of the country. But I still rehearse everything I need to say in a shop in my best Konglish before entering. And I am yet to hand anything over with my left hand.

 
At Wed Jan 18, 04:40:00 AM PST, Blogger Helen said...

Oh yeah, I have also started to eat kimchi and like it- something I never managed while actually in Korea

 
At Wed Jan 18, 01:04:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Hels....
You're really cute. I have re-read this blog entry several times now. Have you opted to use your Korean name?
Ner

 
At Wed Jan 18, 08:03:00 PM PST, Blogger R said...

Hey Hel'

Sorry I am such a slack ass replying to emails.

Thaks for your card.

Things are looking up here too.

 
At Thu Jan 19, 04:33:00 AM PST, Blogger Helen said...

you call me cute! Only Koreans call me cute so you must be one too! Korean name Hel-len!

Started Spanish classes last night- hard work. Rolling them r's can be a right bitch- especially if your teacher is laughing at you while you are doing it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts