Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Those Winter Mornings

Now I do know better than to try and get sympathy off you full time workers but it was hard getting up yesterday morning. It wasn't so much the hour as knowing that it was dark outside and it wasn't like I was even gettting a plane or some other good reason for being up so early. But I had said that I would cover someone's class so up I had to get.

In fact, I was even sensible enough to go to bed early the night before. Wow, not always easy and made harder because I was out that night. Having been to Nara Korean restaurant on Friday night with someone who didn't really want spicy food, I had to go back there again on Monday night with someone who did.

When I went to Nara back in May I was thrilled to see dak galbi on the menu. But when I tasted it, I found that it was very much a diluted version and the bitter taste of disappointment drowned out that of the spicy chicken. After seven long chicken-less months, it was a taste explosion in the restaurant on Monday night. If I was a cat, I would have been purring as I ate it.

So even though I had to have an early night, it was a night well spent.

Even if this was what I was greeted with the next morning as the nights hurtle towards the Winter Solistice and the longest of their kind

too early

Yes, that would be darkness at the train station at 7.30 in the am. As from the middle of next week the days will be getting longer again but I don't think that we will be notcing the difference for a while.

2 Comments:

At Wed Dec 14, 03:49:00 AM PST, Blogger Helen said...

God, homesickness is crap, especially when you are actually at home. the sooner I build my small hamlet of Helensville and persuade all my mates to move there, the better.

 
At Wed Dec 14, 06:52:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just out of curiosity...how expensive will housing be in Helensville? And what currency will you use? Do I have to give up my Canadian citizenship if I immigrate?
Ner

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts