Saturday, February 03, 2007

Breaking the Rules

Rule one from the Lonely Planet guide to Colombia... do not take a night bus.. I took one from Bucaramanga to Santa Marta but there was no choice

Rule two... don't walk back the long way through Tayrona National Park because robberies have been reported... we did it but under protest, Mark's idea and I only read the guide book after

Rule three.... don't walk up to La Popa in Cartagena, take a taxi, armed robberies have been reported... well, yesterday was the Patron Saint of Cartagena's special day, I wasn't alone and an armed robber would have been hard pressed to have found us in the crowds

Rule four... don't take opened drinks off people you don't know.... ah stuff it!

botero statue

Yesterday I went to a very strange thing-volcan de totumo.. a mud volcano

volcan 2

volcan

It is a few thousand feet deep apparentely but it is also impossible to sink. It is a very strange feeling

mud

And I took photos of donkeys... hey I am a tourist!

burroa

The day before I went to El Castillo de San Felipe something

castillo

Colombians don't just like to fly flags, they like to fly BIG flags

flag

Having met someone to talk to on the day at the volcano it seemed a shame not to take advantage so we went out. We climbed the hill to La Popa through the festival crowds. There was a real party atmosphere and the sunset was awesome

sunset cartagena

sunset again

We came down and decided to join the festival but while Nicola, German girl with great Spanish, was talking to an old couple I made a friend too

me and kid

he was fascinated with my digital camera and I woke up this morning to find about 17 photos of him... he would pose then run back to see the results

BEER KID

Then I made another friend

me and him

2 Comments:

At Sun Feb 04, 02:19:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helen...you are bold! Next time I see you its a time out I tell you....a time out.
Ner

 
At Sun Feb 04, 04:56:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

missbels says-- bold doesn´t even start to cover it!

Nah, not really, I have been quite good, quite.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts