Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Walking around

Today is my second whole day in Cartagena and I finally got off my lazy arse and moved hotel. I was all packed and ready to do it yesterday but then I got sucked into looking around the city and before I knew what had happened I had missed the checkout time. So I spent another night in my cell like room. It was OK but I have now finished all of my books in English. I failed yet again to find a room in the local backpacker place so went for the second option in the book. It is the same price as the other place but I have my own bathroom! Bonus!

And today I got harrassed within an inch of my life by men trying to sell me gold and emeralds- don't know which part of my backpacker outfit made them think that I could afford them, whether it is the tatty friendship bracelets, the bead necklace or my 'Te quiero Colombia' bag, I am not sure. But then again I was walking around the emerald part of town.

Then another guy came up to me and started to talk to me and didn't seem to want to sell me anything. Weird. Turns out he was after my phone number. We settled on exchanging email addresses- finally I have been hit on by someone under forty!

And so to celebrate... photos!

Helen 002

prrof that I am somewhere sunny- this was on the beach at Parque Tayrona. The first place that we stayed in, El Pairaso (or something like that), wasn{t not suitable for swimming as the tides are a little too strong. The waves too as Mark found out when he posed for the next photo

Helen 003

neither of us were quite expecting that though

Helen 001

Beach! And this was what was fringing the beach

Helen 004

We walked through a bit of that and a bit of beach to get to the next place where we spent the next night

Helen 005

that space that you can see between hammocks is where our two got strung

Helen 006

Nothing quite beats a palm trees at sunset shot!

Helen 007

this was on the walk the next day to Pueblito and this is what we saw there

Helen 009

Helen 010

And this was near the end of the walk

Helen 011

Now onto Cartagena. This is the Pegasus wall, for obvious reason, and between the two you can see the clock tower on the city walls

Helen 012

The city walls and the new part of town in the background

Helen 014

Helen 013

one of a series of statues near the church of San Pedro Claver, one of the first saints of the New World

Helen 015

and this is his church. He gained his sainthood from his work with the slaves here in Cartagena. He was known as the Slave of the Slaves

Whenever I am out in the parks of London with my students they always get a little excited when they see a squirrel and refuse to take any notice when I point out that they are not even English. I have no idea what would cause them to be so excited when I saw three of these just wandering around the local park today

Helen 017

and each one was at least three feeet long!

And that is all for today.

2 Comments:

At Fri Feb 02, 09:30:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

bloody heck Hel, great photos! Why could I never got mine to do that when I had the same model!

It's getting harder to pick my faves, but the little girl, wave shot and hammocks are Double Mint.

 
At Sat Feb 03, 10:31:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

missbels says..

I don{t think that you ever made this model did you? And certainly never had it in Colombia.. and it is not the camera, mate, it is what is behind it that counts

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts