Friday, March 02, 2007

Gringos reunited

I have done it, I have left Quito after six nights there. Which makes it the longest that I have stayed anywhere since leaving Bogota. And why is that? It is an interesting city and quite relaxing. Part of the reason for that is that I was not an unusual sight there- I was just one in a sea of foreigners from all over the world. Granted, it did mean that my 'Nina Linda' status bestowed on me in Colombia was gone but it was good to relax.

In fact, the only guy that hit on me the whole time I was in Quito turned out to be Colombian. At least that is what he said when he asked me if I liked Ecuadorian men and I said that I prefered los colombianos--- funny you should say that, he said, I was born in Barranquilla, now will you be my girlfriend? Ah, taxi drivers, do they ever get to date their passengers because they sure make a point of trying- here and in Korea and London also. It has never worked with me yet.

So I am back in Otavalo and ready for some hardcore shopping with the few dollars that I have left. The woman in the hotel recognised me from last weekend when me and Eric left our bags there while we hit the stalls. So that was a nice welcome. She asked where Eric was. I have my own big double bed. Which is cool.

I haven't really met anyone since leaving Colombia. There was an English girl on my second night in Quito but she buggered off to the Amazon the next morning- should I take that personally? I met up with Lori, an American woman that I met in Santa Marta, for a few bevies the other night. But when I had to change hostels I was put in one where I was the solo guest- so much for partying in Quito. I guess that I could have moved again but I was too lazy and in the mood for some peave and quiet.

Ah yes, there was also Mark who I bumped into that I met in Salento. I have also seen a French couple that I was on the jeep tour with in San Agustin and a Greek guy who was in my room the first night in Cali. I guess that once you drop out of the bottom of Colombia, so to speak, everyone heads the same way. Ah, god bless the gringo trail.

So the plan is to cross the border again tomorrow, heavily laden with newly purchased alpaca blankets, of course. And depending on what time I get across I will either stay in Ipiales, close to the border, or Pasto, not. I am working my way back the way I came as far as the coffee area then skipping across the country to reappear in Bogota on Thursday... where I hope there are some people waiting to take me out for the weekend.

I can't believe that the journey is nearly over. But it feels longer than seven weeks. So much is changing around me and away from me- friends getting married, friends falling in love, friends moving to other continents to be with the object of their affections. And, as ever, I am not unchanged by the experiences here. But I still have nine days left and I shall make the most of them.

And before anyone else asks, my Spanish is now worse than before Christmas when I was still studying. I can make myself understood most of the time and I am surprised at what I understand of others conversations. I even had my first drunk argument entirely in Spanish the other night, needless to say I was totally in the wrong but in the wrong in a different language for a change.

Back to Spanish classes when I get back to London though I think that I will have to wait until the next term at the end of March.. but wait I shall!

1 Comments:

At Fri Mar 02, 06:37:00 PM PST, Blogger Ian said...

Helen:

A classic post...drunk arguments in Spanish...I would say your Spanish is better than ever! Enjoy your final 9 days and have fun!

Ian

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts