Thursday, February 15, 2007

Old and new

It is funny that you can spend a day with someone and still miss them. Here are Linda and Fernando, now in Ecuador, who I met in Medellin

linda and fernando

I am now in Cali, leaving behind the gorgeousness of Salento. I spent three days in Salento, about forty minutes outside Armenia. I went there with two Canadians that I had met in Medellin and again in Manizales. By the time that we were leaving the Mountain House in Manizales it seemed silly not to just get the same bus.

salento

We arrived into an empty Plantation House hostel but it had filled up by the time that we came back from dinner. And people seemed to be plotting a five hour hike the next day. How I get myself into these things I just don´t know!

But I was up with the others the next day and bundling into the back of a jeep

jeep

We went to Cocora Valley to look at some wax palms, really big palm trees. We set off on the hike together but I dropped out at 3.5km and made a leisurely stroll back to the meeting point. The rest of them went on for another two or so kms before turning back. It was only when we all got back that we saw the map with the arrow pointing the other way... ah well, the scenery was fantastic

cocora valle

wax plams

All very nice and the walk back by myself was good. Until I decided not to risk the shaky bridge that I had crossed on my hands and knees the last time and decided to wade across instead. And fell in. You have never seen anyone move so quick to get their camera out of the way before it hit the water. Bag was saved but self was soaked from top to bottom.

I was trying to decide whether I could get away with not telling anyone when the others started reappearing. Ah well.

A couple of us went out that night to paint Salento red. We met some weird looking locals who wanted to dance salsa. Having trodden all over some poor boy´s feet on Saturday night I declined and looked after the drinks instead.

And the next day I went to PANACA with the Canadian couple. I can´t remember exactly what it stands for but it is something to do with agricultural. It was a weird place. If I say to you that the racing pigs were the most normal part you might begin to understand.

panaca pigs

These pigs were friendly but didn´t race.

Here is Fran riding a cow

fran on cow

It was that kind of place really. Fun but really weird.

panaca visto

Then it started to rain. Having been wet for hours the day before I elected to buy a raincoat there and then.

And off we went to the rodeo. The donkeys and horses were all housed under the seats but didn´t want to miss out on the attention

burro

And finally we went back to Salento, shuttle bus from PANACA to Quimbaya (without enough time to go to the Britain disco bar, shame), bus from Quimbaya to Armenia and bus from Armenia to Salento. And collapse into the hostel and the welcoming paws of the hostel kitten.

Today I got up and came to Cali. So I am in Cali now. I checked into the hostel and came out. That is all I have to say right now.

1 Comments:

At Thu Feb 15, 03:21:00 PM PST, Blogger Helen said...

damn it, I forgot to put up my Salento cowboy photos. It is a real cowboy town with ponchos and cowboy hats everywhere.. ah well, next time

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts