Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Gringolandia

I am staying in the part of town here in Quito known for its foreign population. And I have to say that it is quite weird to be surrounded by so many foreigners. The Old Town is where it is at in terms of sightseeing and museums but the New Town (where I am now) is the place for nightlife....apparantely. I wouldn´t really know since I have been at home nice and early the two nights that I have been there.

The first night I tried to go out with a girl from my dorm but, it being Sunday, our choices were limited. And last night I was alone in the dorm... poor me! I went out for dinner and got the usual bad service seemingly reserved for women who dine alone then went home and watched a film. It was fine.

Today I got up and went to the Teleferiqo (cable car to you and me). I started to walk there but soon realised that the area I was walking through was a little different from Gringolandia and I stuck out like a sore thumb. So I jumped into a cab for the rest of the way and was pleased that I had done so when I realised that the rest of the walk was up hill. Ha!

The ride starts at 9,680 ft above sea level and by the time you have reached the top of the mountain you are a heady 13,287 ft above sea level or about 4,100m. There are signs everywhere reminding you how high you are and so not to run. It is exhausting being that high. I walked along the ridge for a while but was soon totally out of breath- and for once all those around me were the same.

I watched the planes taking off from Quito airport until my body realised that height= cold. And I wasn´t wearing the thickest of shirts. My ears were hurting from the wind and the battery was running out on my camera. It seemed time to go.

Quito is a strange city in as much as it is only 4km across and 22km long. It sits in a valley and is surrounded by mountains and volcanos. I am explaining this rather than showing you photos because the PC that I am using has decided not to recognise my camera. Very annoying.

I think that I will stay in Quito until Friday and then head back for a second helping of Otavalo market. I will try and get back across the border on Saturday afternoon, if I can.

It is so strange to think that two weeks today I will be back in Blighty! I have already arranged to go straight from the airport to the pub to catch up with a few folk but I know that it will all be a little surreal. That is why the people I am meeting in the pub are mostly Colombians, ease myself back into London life gently..

and I have a question.. what did people play on panpipes before the Sound of Silence was written?

3 Comments:

At Thu Mar 01, 04:42:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Helen,

I met you in Korea in Gangneung and am now living in London too... I hope you remember me.... get in touch!
gisellemillar2@hotmail.com
p.s. love the site. Renee let me know about it... x

 
At Mon Mar 05, 06:07:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe El Sonar de Silencio is a traditional South American song that (I want to say Simon and Garfunkel?) ripped off?

 
At Tue Mar 06, 10:12:00 AM PST, Blogger Helen said...

Guess that answers that question then

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts