Monday, August 25, 2008

Bank Holiday Monday

It is just past eight thirty and I am not at work so it must be a bank holiday- either that or I am being very casual about oversleeping this week. I have to say that I have needed the extra day this weekend just to catch up on my sleeping! Last week turned out to be a hectic one, with something on every day and a hangover to cope with on Wednesday.

I had got some dates confused in my head and the friends that I thought were arriving next week texted from the Tower of London on Thursday- oops! Actually, it was great to see them but I felt a bit bad that I hadn't tidied the house or got any food in for their visit.

Ner and her sister met me from work and we did a lot of walking around looking at sites- after a nice dinner of dak galbi at the Korean restaurant. Ner used to live in Mokpo, Korea, which is where I met her many moons ago, and the guy behind the counter was laughing at us strictly observing the pouring rituals with the lemon soju.

Ner left on Friday afternoon and her sister stayed on for another night. Charlene warned me that she wasn't really one for drinking and that she would be happy to go home if I wanted to hit the pub. But that is no way to treat a guest, especially one visiting London for the first time. I tried to put myself in the shoes of a tourist....what could London offer that would finish off her visit nicely? Aha, a show!!

So me and Rach dragged her round the streets of London, popping into various theatres until we found one that we could afford- we went to see 'Chicago' which was awesome. Got up early on Saturday (well, early for a Saturday) and did a river cruise down the Thames before some last minute shopping in Covent Garden before dropping Charlene off at Victoria to get the Gatwick Express out to the airport.

In other news, went wedding dress shopping with a friend last weekend and while she was deeply embroiled in fighting her way in and out of some beautiful gowns, I was outside the fitting room sneakily trying on tiaras

tiara

Any chance that the guests are allowed to wear them if the bride decides not to?

Dropped by Trafalgar Square the other night to watch a little of the Olympics on the big screen there

screen

And to get a photo of an iconic Routemaster bus, which so many people love and yet which has been mostly taken off our streets

bus

It has been fairly wet this summer, though not as bad as last year with all the flooding, but it has meant that there has been the odd amazing rainbow such as this one

rainbow2

the photo was taken out of my bedroom window and on the other side of the flat the view was pretty cool too

kitchen window rain

and finally, it is less than seven weeks until the big offski- ah Brazilian sun! Wait for me!!

1 Comments:

At Sat Sep 13, 06:28:00 PM PDT, Blogger Ian said...

Helen, loved the Tiara pics - classic! Have a great week.

Ian

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts