Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Prison




When I lived in Dublin I went to Kilaminham Gaol several times and read the stories of the convicts deported to Australia. Today I went to Fremantle Prison to see what greeted them when they arrived. Well, before 1850 nothing much did. The convicts were set to work building the prison to house them. It took nine years and ten people died during the building. It stayed open with little modification until 1991. Scary stuff.

We were shown the tiny cells, the exercise yard and the execution room, complete with noose. It was interesting but I am glad that I never do anything wrong!

I caught the train out of Perth this morning and spent the day at Fremantle. Last night I went to the movies and the guy let me in for free! Nice work so I stayed and paid for a second movie.

I was supposed to do something about plotting my escape today but have, in fact, done nothing much in the way of thinking. Will run upstairs now and do some research but I guess that I am in Perth for another night at least. I can think of worse places to be.

6 Comments:

At Tue Jul 19, 04:51:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Helen,

Will try and get those websites to you soon. Been busy packing up the last of my stuff to move to Seoul and then onto Bali. The whole gang went to see Tottenham Spurs play in Suwon on Saturday. Was fun to see Neil with a big huge smile on his face. Have buckets of fun in Perth. Love M

 
At Tue Jul 19, 09:00:00 PM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

Ah, Tania has wooken up at last!

Am leaving Perth tomorrow on a four day trip then flying to Adelaide on Monday night.

And it was a lot of work making that many decisions, let me tell you!

 
At Thu Jul 21, 04:42:00 PM PDT, Blogger R said...

Yeah Tania got lost in a drunken bender that lasted for weeks.

Stuck in Australia - oh no the horror. Some photos please, I forget what the place looks like.

 
At Thu Jul 21, 04:52:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Helen. Me see you are still alive. When you headinf odd to America then??? You know what i mean or are there americans travelling aswell???

Anyways. Hope you meet lots of funny welsh people. Because there arent any here. hehehe.

Catch ya laters

 
At Sun Jul 24, 07:00:00 PM PDT, Blogger Les Becker said...

Oh, dear, Helen - you've *poofed* away again. Withdrawal. Ow.

 
At Tue Jul 26, 12:32:00 PM PDT, Blogger Les Becker said...

Those goal cells are prettier than my apartments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts