Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Bula!

Nestled up against the International Dateline, which actually curves around it to protect it from yesterday, Fiji's archipelago consists of more than 300 islands, depending on your definition of an island. They sit south of the equator and north of the tropic of Capricorn. Populated by less than a million people, it is the most multi-racial of the South Pacific Islands.

It sits in the same time zone as New Zealand which puts it at a cool +12 GMT. One of the top backpacker destinations is the Yasawa Islands, a group of 20 ancient volcanic islands stretching 90km into the South Pacific. It is famous for its startlingly blue clear water, white sand and volcanic hills which dominate what little land there is. There are definitely more palm trees than people. The island where 'Blue Lagoon' was filmed was next to the island that I spent my first night in the Yasawas on. My island, Tavewa is typical of the islands in that it is almost stereotypically perfect.

I arrived on the Yasawa Flyer, a big yellow boat that links the islands to the mainland. I had spent my first night in the airport town of Nadi and watched a picture perfect sunset from the beach at my hostel. I was in the Yaswas for six days before spending last night on South Sea Island in the Mamanuca group.

I have so much to tell you though I really did little more than lounge in a hammock all day for days on end and eat. The water was fantastic- you could see the coral from the boat. It was awesome.

But, believe me, you probably don't want to see these photos! Especially if you are sitting in an office somewhere.. you really don't!

But if you are sure that you do want to see them... here is a taster


h balli

To start off nicely, here is me with my hermit crab, champion of the Royal Rumble on South Sea Island last night- his name was bal-li and he really was!


h beer



Fiji Gold beer

h boat
The little boat that transferred us from the big boat to the island yesterday

h coral
I was amazed that you could sit in a boat and see the coral and the hills at the same time!

h kids
Some boys performing some traditional dance for the tourists but really just pushing each other around and laughing

h south sea
This was taken as we were leaving South Sea Island in the Mamanuca group today

h sunset
This sunset was amazing! Last night we got to South Sea Island just in time to nab a couple of sun loungers and watch this baby unfold!
h south sea island
This is South Sea Island. It takes around five minutes to walk all the way around it- I know, I did it today
h school
h me and the girls
sunset again- Caitriona and Mags and me.
h girls
Lindsey and Pauline floating off the Wanna Taki, a boat where I spent the night and met Mags, Eleanor and Caitriona.
Now before you start all those 'I hate you,' emails just from looking at the photos remember that you asked to see them!

6 Comments:

At Thu Sep 22, 02:40:00 PM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

I guess that you are all too jealous to write?

 
At Thu Sep 22, 05:43:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Helen, I have been following your blog for a few months now and have never felt the need to post a comment before but...those photos are amazing. Enjoy your time in Fiji and relax before you head back to Korea to teach again! (grin)

 
At Thu Sep 22, 06:00:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures, Helen. Glad to see you posting again, I was starting to get the shakes.

 
At Fri Sep 23, 10:21:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Helen,

Sitting in Eric's apartment in Naju, and his jaw's just dropped to the floor when he saw your pictures... he'll e-mail you!

take care

Patrick.

 
At Sat Sep 24, 01:44:00 PM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

Eric is in Naju?? Where my mates are? Some of the time anyway! Wow~ will be waiting for that email...

And, Ian, I am not going back to Korea but do you have any contacts for English schools in the UK?

 
At Sun Sep 25, 03:51:00 AM PDT, Blogger Fosters said...

Wow what a sunset can I have one of those please.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts