Saturday, April 29, 2006

A Hundred Years Ago

Or maybe just over a year but it seems longer, I was sitting at my computer in Korea when I received a phonecall that started the longest day of my life. My friend, Rory, was coming over for lunch but didn't realise that he would spend most of his time sitting on the floor, unable to find the words to say to me. Later that day, more people came over and helped me to clear my flat into boxes, backpacks, suitcases, rubbish bags and various homes around the city, all the time trying to offer comfort in a comfortless suitation.

The second phonecall arrived that evening as I stood in my half empty flat with Patrick and Heimi. My flight would be too late. The moment had passed and all I could do was go home and try to deal with the aftermath. The words of comfort stopped as there was nothing that could be said to make things better. No words would replace the feelings of loss.

As friends finished work they came to my house one by one for my unplanned last night in Korea. They looked to me to know what to do and strove to find a way to break the monotony of the tears.

Pub, I said, I want to go to the place I think of as my second home. The place I return to after a weekend out of Gangneung to feel like I have really made it back. I want to say goodbye to my friends and my memories, dammit.

So we went and sat in seats that we had never occupied before, the conversation swinging from normality to the end of the world and back.

A few tequilas and beers later, a guitar appeared in Rory's hand. I was going to play at your goodbye party so I am going to play for you now, he said and he played over my tears.

Two months later as I was preparing to go on my round the world trip I loaded some songs onto my MP3 player. Unfamiliar with the technology it took me a while. Did it work, my sister asked as I put the headphone into my ears. As the guitar started tears escaped once more, I guess so, I replied.

At first it was hard to hear the song and not be reminded of the loss. I would skip it or listen and revel in my pain, the hurt proving that at least I could feel. But I still listened, in the mountains of Vietnam, in the outback of Western Australia, on the beach in Fiji, on the metro deep beneath the streets of New York and my pain evolved.

Now I am back in London and listen to the song often. It is always the same song, written about a girl that I have never met by a boy that played for me the night that he didn't know what to say. When the song begins, I smile and hug my feelings close. As Rory starts to sing I remember the love in the room that night, the love that I felt for someone I had lost and the love I had for and received from my friends sitting next to me and sent across the world in emails and phonecalls.

I have loved, I do love and I am very much loved.

As I listen to Rory sing, I feel close to everyone in my life. A song about Rory's pain makes me appreciate my own.

I may not be with you guys every day, every year or even see you from one year to the next but I think of my friends often, those I still have and those that I have lost along the way, no less important though the link has been broken.

Who knew that you could get all that from a song? Certainly, as Rory sat down to write a song about the girl that broke his heart he wouldn't have known that it would be listened to by a girl in London with a heart spread across the world.

10 Comments:

At Sat Apr 29, 04:17:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To every [thing there is] a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up [that which is] planted;

A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

(Ecclesiastes, 3:1-8)

 
At Sat Apr 29, 06:36:00 AM PDT, Blogger Jelly said...

That was beautifully written. Time flies, doesn't it? My best wishes!

 
At Sat Apr 29, 10:52:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Helen...guess who..?!?!
It's the South Africans.
We are back in Korea(Suwon),spending some time with Russ and Janine this weekend in Gwangyang(after a hellish long bus ride....)
We haven't checked ur blog for months,funny how we decide to check it when ur feeling so melancholic....anyway, just wanted to say,you will be hearing more from us,now that we are reconnected.

Neil and Annette

 
At Sun Apr 30, 06:20:00 PM PDT, Blogger R said...

Oh gosh Helen, you just made me all sad again!

My mission today is to photograph something beautiful and send it to you.

Miss ya.

R

 
At Sun Apr 30, 08:50:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

really lovely. thinking of you too.

 
At Mon May 01, 12:53:00 AM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

Hi guys,

it is strange how squeamish we get about other people's emotions and how those who are experiencing pain try to hide it from others so that the listeners don't have to deal with the embarrassment of responding.

i wrote this piece because I wanted to talk about something real for a change. The constant list of good times does not always reflect everything though it hides nothing.

And I hope that my meaning was not lost in the sadness- I wanted to write about my friends and what they mean to me. Having the people that I have had and do have (damn these English teachers and their need to use as many tenses as possible while naming them in their heads) is one of the things that I am proudest of in my life.

I have lived alone and travelled alone but I have never really been alone, if you know what I mean.

And weirdly, writing about the day that the world stopped for a few hours didn't make me cry but reading your responses did. I wish that I could just pop over for a weekend- to Korea, to Australia to wherever. But catching up with long lost friends when I was travelling proved to me that time is not the point, a friendship can exist even without contact for years at a time, just waiting for the chance to spring up once more.

Dammmit, guys, this is what happens on a week when I have worked so much that I haven't had time to drink!

Off to the pub later- hooray for this one day holiday- so normal service will be resumed asap.

Rory, looking forward to your photo. Tania, you know what you could photo to make me feel like I am there!

Cheers
H
xx

 
At Tue May 02, 01:47:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Hels,
This entry is very touching. Thanks for sharing it. Thinking of you.
Nerissa

 
At Wed May 03, 04:41:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Helen,
Truly touched by your raw honesty and depth of feeling. You have a wonderful way with words and your ability to express emotions through them is beautiful.
Take care my friend and dont forget the bogging bus.
Craig. x

 
At Wed May 03, 11:16:00 PM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

Thanks everyone! I have some photos from my weekend in Greenwich to share with you all and some stories etc but no time to update this week.

Will never forget the bogging bus if you dont forget the bogging tourists, Craig!

Ner, hope to catch up with you this summer.

Neil and Annette- will send email soon
H
xx

 
At Fri May 05, 08:02:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, As you know I am no good with words or spelling so I will stick with Big Hugs & thinking of you.
Cheza

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts