Sunday, May 21, 2006

Crying Nut

Well, Ok, maybe one more post before the birthday at the end of the week. Went out last night to see a Korean band. It is part of the London Korean Festival- a rather low key affair but with free gigs and movies, it sounds good.

Weirdly the gig was in the nightclub that I used to go to just after I finished university. It was strange to be back within its mirrored walls. It looked the same, only smaller, and with a Nigerian lady in the toilets. This is something that I don't remember from the London of my youth but it is now impossible to go the toilet in a Central London pub without a Nigerian lady handing you a paper towel to dry your hands on in the hope of a tip or two. Personally, I never take my bag to the toilet so they are out of luck with me.

them

I met Patrick and Heimi at Charing Cross and we walked up to Tottenham Court Road. Unsure where the door was, we were alerted to it by the long line of Koreans waiting outside in the drizzle.



gig



It was a bit like being back in Korea except that no one tried to take our photo or point us out to their mates in open mouthed amazement at the sight of a foreigner.



us



The gig was free and consisted of three bands- a Korean one opened and they were so cute, in their big red bowties. The next band, Wanderlust, is one of my co-workers' band. He is English but they have a Korean guitarist. They played 'Arirang' which was really cool, though not part of their usual set.

cameras agogo

Then the main act, Crying Nut, who were excellent and a lot of fun. The Korean crowd went crazy and enjoyed the band's attempts to speak English a lot. It was a good night and afterwards we had a chance to take photos with them.



crying nut1



crying nut2

2 Comments:

At Tue May 23, 03:04:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

is that a can of red stripe i see in your hand?? definately going back to your youth!
V x

 
At Tue May 23, 12:41:00 PM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

I was necking the Hooch back when I used to go to LA2. But the red stripe was pretty good the other night too:)

And I have a question about last night- is it still wrong to drink in a pub with 17 year olds if they are the ones buying the drinks??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts