Sunday, May 07, 2006

The Sultan's Elephant

I took my students out for a little walk around London on Friday morning. It was truly the best week for it- the temperature hit 26 degrees on Thursday and the sky was blue as anything on Friday.

studes

Off we went. But there was something weird afoot in London. It all started on Thursday when this appeared

rocket

Penny had told me what was going on that morning but the students didn't know and I found it hard to believe. But when we reached Horseguard's Parade we saw this

olifant

massive elephant. But our time was over and I went back to school. I did managed to get back out into the sun again later with my next class when this climbed out of the rocket

girl

The biggest marionette that I have ever seen. She walked down to where the elephant what stomping around and spraying people with water. It was all part of an enormous four day street theatre performance by a French group. It was awesome. I went back again on Saturday and stood in the rain to see more

rain

I wasn't the only one- there were thousands of us cowering between umbrellas. I was there for an hour or so before anything happened and just as the band geared up a man pushed through the crowd, stood in front of me and popped his son on his shoulders. Dammit!

gsallery

Ah well. It was good.

And on Monday I took some friends to Greenwich to feed the squirrels

squirrel

2 Comments:

At Sun May 07, 05:56:00 PM PDT, Blogger R said...

How wonderfully bizarre!

 
At Sun May 07, 08:02:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very cool indeed. wish i could have seen that. french theatre is always...well, weird.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts