Thursday, February 08, 2007

Alcohol loosens the tongue

I woke up this morning with a head full of Spanish and a belly full of margaritas. Well, that is not entirely true. I was woken up by an English girl bursting into the room and demanding to know what her friend wanted to do today. Being half cut I rolled over in my bed and joined the discussion, in English. But when they had gone I tried to think to myself and it was all in Spanish, bad Spanish.

The reason for this was that last night I was out with some people, a couple of Americans and a guy from Chile. Everyone could speak Spanish but one could not speak English. We went to the zona rosa here in Medellin, famous for having more plastic boobs than a barbie factory.

And from what we saw it was exactly true. Those girls are so top heavy and so young.. and their fellas are such overweight slobs. It was weird. Around one the Americans wanted to go home but me and Fernando wanted to stay. So we did. And later tried to find another place to go but with no luck. So we came back to the hostel and sat on the balcony with a Colombian woman. The whole conversation was in Spanish. For four hours I didnt, couldnt, speak English.

Of course I made so many mistakes and they were kind and patient with me. And the nearer it got to five am the harder it was to form any words in any language. And at that time my Korean started to come out again which was no help to anyone. But I went to bed feeling quite pleased with myself for having spoken the most Spanish I have ever done in one evening. Hooray for me.

Today I was supposed to leave Medellin but it is now one thirty in the afternoon and I can still taste the toothpaste. And there is no point leaving tomorrow morning as the bullfighting is tomorrow night here in Medellin and I am feeling bloodthirsty.

So I guess that I will be out of here on Saturday.... maybe

2 Comments:

At Thu Feb 08, 11:23:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helen,

It's all sounding very Hemingwayesque! Just don't wear red!!

Patrick.

 
At Fri Feb 09, 07:33:00 AM PST, Blogger Helen said...

damn it thats all I have to wear. maybe I will leave medellin today after all

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts