Monday, October 13, 2008

Gay Parade

Yesterday was a busy day on Copacabana- for several reasons; Firstly there was the World Championship Half Marathon. As that finished it was time for the Gay Parade. And it was a holiday yesterday and the hottest day since I arrived.


All nice and good.


So I went down to watch the parade and take some photos- typically my most homophobic students have been Brazilian so I was very interested to see what the atmosphere would be like. In fact, it was nice and chilled and I perched myself on the edge of the prom with a cold beer and my camera and awaited the actual parade.


Then a woman came over and asked me if I spoke English. She looked quite agitated and got her husband to translate for her. It turned out that she had overheard some people plotting to steal my camera and the wonderful woman came over to warn me! So I got in a taxi and hightailed it back to the hostel and stowed it safely away in my locker.

I did head back to the beach later but was a bit too nervous to stay there for long. But I had a good evening in the hostel and discovered that another girl was planning to go to Ouro Preto tonight too and still another one actually lives there! So I think that we are all going together now or at least meeting up there. Perfect.

And I still did better than the poor Ecuadorian in the hostel whose camera was stolen right out of his pocket and he even saw it happen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts