Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Oh Christmas tree!

Even though I don't start work until three o'clock in the afternoon, I am already finding that I miss my lie-ins. I went for my first proper day at work on Monday and was full of the novelty of the thing. Rather like seeing a famous building, it felt like something that I should do since I was in town. But waking up yesterday and realising that I had to do it all over again was a bit of a shock. Go to work? Didn't I do that yesterday?

But in I had to go. And so far I am actually enjoying it. I really enjoy teaching and it has been weird at times to have a job that I don't resent every single hour that is leeched out of my social life.

And the location is great! I used to work on Oxford Street but it was so busy up there that I usually just bundled onto the tube at the end of the day and got home as quickly as I could. It is a different kind of crowded at Piccadilly Circus. So I have been getting the tube to Embankment and then walking to work from there.

I can either go via Haymarket or Leicester Square or down the small side streets. Yesterday I came back via Haymarket and spilled into Trafalgar Square to see it stuffed with people. It was the 59th time that a mayor of Oslo had been in London to light up the tree there. The Trafalgar Square Christmas tree has come from Oslo every year since 1947 to show the appreciation of the people in Oslo for the help that Britain gave them during the Second World War.

This year is special too since it marks a hundred years since Norway regained its independence from Sweden and an English princess became queen to their new Danish king. During WWII, the Norwegian Royal family stayed in London away from their occupied country waiting for their chance to return.

In November of each year the Lord Mayor of Westminister goes to Oslo and chooses the tree. He is encouraged to choose the tallest tree there though it has to be trimmed to fit on the boat that will carry it over the North Sea to London. This year's tree was 22m tall until it was cut to fit the boat.

I was mainly interested in the Christmas carols but the tree made an impressive sight. And the Square being so full of people was very exciting too. I am beginning to feel like I am starting a new period in my life rather than spending so much time mourning the last part.

Oh, and the Korean girl in my class is from Mokpo, of all places! It was a true bonding moment when we found out.

1 the tree

1 Comments:

At Mon Dec 05, 12:47:00 AM PST, Blogger Helen said...

How else would she be able to afford to study in London?? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts