Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Stuff and Nonsense

1 robin

I guess that the large numbers of robins around the local train station is a sign that Christmas is approaching fast. So fast in fact, that I am finding it hard to get any time with my friends who, in the spirit of Londoners through the ages, have been booked up for the whole of December for at least three years now.

Arriving into the country so late in the year and gaining a job a few weeks after that has meant that my invitations to Christmas parties have been a bit scarce. I guess that's OK. But it doesn't do anything to help me get over missing the ease of social life in Gangneung. There, yes I did see the same people every week, but I did see them every week. There was a high possibility of getting bored of the same faces so in Gangneung people tended to paint their faces at night in the bar and voila, more new faces!

I am just complaining for the sake of complaining to be honest, it is me that is too lazy to leave the house at weekends if I can avoid it. And it is getting a little chilly out there so I am happy to spend some quality time with the sea monkeys

2 sea monkeys

We hatched them about a month ago now and they are getting bigger- not actually big in any real sense of the word but bigger

3 sea monkeys tank

The job is still going well and I am on course to double my hours after Christmas which should help keep me off the streets. Or rather not as I will have a three hour break in the middle of the day- unfortunate but what can you do? Yesterday I enjoyed watching a Columbian lad teach a Korean girl a phrase in Spanish, which she produced quite well, and then the look of horror on his face as she tried to get him to say the same thing in Korean- he just went straight back to Spanish and I laughed all the way back to the teacher's room.

Also, the Mokpo girl asked me what this Korean word was in English and I was pleased that I was still able to remember any Korean at all!

One of the bonuses of working in Piccadilly Circus has to be that I finish work in perfect time to get to the Swiss centre to watch the display.

4 swiss centre

On the dot of six, the cow starts to move below the clock face and the people follow it accompanied by the bells blasting out such classics as 'Yesterday' and 'Michelle, ma belle'. It is enough to bring a tear to the eye. I am going back to Embankment via Leicester Square at the moment because there is a funfair set up in the square. The other day I saw a group of ladies dressed as Father Christmas singing and dancing on the dodgems track.

London is a weird place and no mistake

5 piccadilly circus

5 Comments:

At Wed Dec 07, 06:32:00 AM PST, Blogger Les Becker said...

How long 'til your seamonkeys start construction on their fabulous Undersea Castle? Those are the pics *I* wanna see!

 
At Thu Dec 08, 11:44:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

now, now you two that is enough of the sibling rivalry.
Helen you do take the most amazing photos, but I have to say, Gareth has it when it comes to taking photos of small, underwater, disgusting creatures.

 
At Thu Dec 08, 01:08:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Helen, my brother Rory gave me your number as he thought we could meet up for a drink, but Ror being Ror it isn't the right no.! my email is runawaycerbera@hotmail.com if you do want that drink or 2 or 3.
Thanks Isabel

 
At Thu Dec 08, 02:02:00 PM PST, Blogger Helen said...

Hi Isabel, just sent you an email- always up for a beer or two or three- there is a reason that I am a friend of your brother's after all.

And, Liz, you are right, I can't beat Gareth's underwater nasties photos at all- though I think that his triop being the size of a small planet does give him an unfair advantage

 
At Fri Dec 09, 06:45:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Ner and I'm dumb. What on earth is a triop?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts