Monday, December 12, 2005

Who said that winter can't be glam?

Another Monday morning. Now that I am working I am officially allowed to join in the Monday morning groan, which I have been exempt from since April. So.... groan.

It is a formality really since I actually like my job and don't even have to get up early on a Monday to get to it. This will all change after Christmas when I have to be in Central London just before the sun has to rise. Not looking forward to those dark January mornings waiting on the station platform.

But why dwell on these things?

Friday night I met up with my mate, Cat, and we went for Korean food. I also introduced her to the horrors of bekseju- I don't know what possessed me really- I just didn't fancy soju, I guess. We had a quiet night with lots of catching up to do and finished with a quick drink in the Walkabout in Covent Garden. I got back to Fenchurch St station and, having just missed the train, I had an hour to wait in the cold and dark. Surrounded by drunk people and vomit. Humph.

This obviously did nothing for my cold, as those of you who spoke to me on Saturday know, as I woke up the next day with very little in the way of a voice. I have been told that it made me sound cute, though the coughing, sniffling etc did nothing to enhance my cuteness, I feel. Shortly after speaking to Patrick and Heimi in Seoul to congratulate them on their nuptials (and a chat to Eric too- an added bonus) I disappeared into the first of my naps for the day.

Despite getting a text message inviting me out (thanks, Isabel, hope to see you soon!) there was no getting me out of the house. And after all the complaining I do about London people not being spontaneous enough, shame on me!

The sacrifice was worth it though since I had enough energy to accompany my sister to Southend on Sea the next day. And enough voice to converse for a change.


rollercoaster


There is something pretty special about English seaside resorts in the winter. In Southend, people just wrap up and carry on regardless, eating ice cream, candy floss and going on all the rides. We elected to go for a walk along the pier.


3 southend pier


Southend boasts the World's longest pleasure pier. Jutting just over a mile into the mist it certainly is a biggy. Pity that the fire last summer has closed the end of it for the time being. We chose to forgo the train that runs the length of it and walked instead.


4 pier train


I discovered that the water was clear enough to see through it is just that there is nothing to see in it. In fact, the tide was out and the water was so shallow that we could see all the way to the bottom, even at the end of the pier.


1 cold penny


Needless to say it was cold and neither of us had thought to bring a hat, though the Southendians were much better prepared. After walking around the rides at Adenture Island, to the end of the pier and back it was time for some chips and a burger and home.


2 lunch


And another nap.


5 southend illuminations

2 Comments:

At Tue Dec 13, 07:05:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hels...I think you could get a job photographing food...seriously...i'm considering heading to my local chipper right now.
ner
ps:got your card, many thanks. roisin, of course, insisted it was hers.

 
At Wed Dec 14, 01:17:00 AM PST, Blogger Helen said...

Chips are just very photogenic

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts