Friday, June 09, 2006

Jealousy, actual real jealousy

The World Cup started today- something that hasn't passed unnoticed even in the world of confectionary

believe

I took my students to the pub to watch the start of the first match. And was amazed to feel a stab of jealousy. You see, four years ago, at the last World Cup I was there- in the stadium, feeling that buzz of excitment. It was a mad month and no mistake! We made lots of silly promises about meeting up at this World Cup, which seemed so distant then, but nothing ever came of any of them.

A lot of the people that I was in Korea with that first year are still there. Weird! And I am not there with them anymore and who knows when I will next get a chance to take part in a Mexican wave in a World Cup stadium.

Ah well, introduced the students to cider and the joys, or not, of warm beer- they seemed pretty put out at that

elementary class
But they liked the cider and I felt that I had done a little something to make them more English.
The day before I took another lot of students to the pub for some traditional English food and it doesn't get any more traditional than this toad in the hole
toad in the hole
Though the fish and chips behind it give it a pretty good run for its money. That is until the Colombian put mayonnaise on them- I handed him the vinegar and explained.
Anyway, off to Prague tomorrow for five days which I am really looking forward to- if only for the lie-in and the chance to sleep in a bed for four nights. Mind you, my sister is moving house on Thursday and I am going with her so as of next week there will be no more airbed in the living room for me. Unfortunately, this also means no more lying in bed to watch CSI on my hungover Tuesday evenings.
Swings and roundabouts, folks!

1 Comments:

At Sat Jun 10, 08:42:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great time in Prague... there is much good, cheap beer there... or at least when I last went there, fifteen years ago!

P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts