Friday, October 17, 2008

Excuse the Typos!

The internet connection here in Brazil is, on average, about 50% slower than sending messages via carrier pigeon, with facebook taking longer to load than for the British coastline to erode. For that reason, I am often typing a good three to five words ahead of those that I can see on the screen in front of me. And that is my excuse for the bad spelling in any previous or subsequent postings.

This is just a quick one to let you know that what I thought would be a 16 hour bus journey eventually evolved into an 18 and a half hour one- phew! No one seemed able to tell me how long the bus journey would be- the estimates were anything from ten hours to more than ten hours- with the second being more correct as it turned out.

Now, imagine my horror, after an already substantial amount of time on the bus, when I nipped off to use the loo at a rest stop and came out to the wholly unreassuring site of my bus pulling out and driving away!!!! Eeekk!! And did I recognise any of the other passengers- well, all fairly tanned and Brazilian looking so no! Fortunately one of them recognised me, calmed me down and told me that the bus would be back- and to be fair it was- 20 fraught minutes later. Phew!

So I finally made it to Porto Seguro only to be told that what the Lonely Planet (that ever reliable book) has advertised as ´the backpacker spot in Porto Seguro´no longer exists. In fact, out of the three in the book, only one is still running and that was full apparently. Hum.

I have got a cheap hotel room for the night but it is a hotel not a hostel so I am alone:( but that is OK- I plan to have an early start tomorrow and hit the beach. Salvador in a couple of days, where my ex-student is promising to show me all the hot guys:):)

3 Comments:

At Sat Oct 18, 04:31:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, are you speaking fluent Portuguese yet?

These stone-age connection speeds are preventing photo uploads, too, I expect?

(Did you buy a digital SLR?)

Sounds like fun. :)

 
At Sun Oct 19, 01:01:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

given how long it will take for the comment page to load I feel almost guilty for leaving one. especially since i just really want to say hi and let you know that i am enjoying your trip so far.

ner

 
At Sun Oct 19, 01:15:00 PM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

I did buy a digital SLR! Which would be even more exciting if I wasn~t too scared to take it out of the hotel- hahahahhaa! Actually it has been out a couple of times and I will share the results... one of these days!

The connection isn~t too bad today but I am still not going to go back and fix those typs (can~t believe I wrote site instead of sight!)

Hi Ner! Glad to have you along:)

Right, got to get to the bus terminal soon- another long bus trip ahead of me- around 11 hours to Salvador but an ex-student should be meeting me there- fingers crossed!
Chao chao
XX

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts