Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Sunny Prague and a bit of football

For those of you who were asking if I would be sporting face paint this World Cup I just have this to say

face painting

I have spent the last few days in beautiful Prague. I have seen sights, I have been shopping and I have watched an awful lot of football. There is a big screen in the Old Town Square showing most of the games- but not the Aussie one- I watched that one in an English pub, sitting on a table with Koreans, chatting to some Polish guys and surrounded by Aussies trying to work out what the first 80 minutes of the game were for

killing time until the last ten minutes

Then it was back out into the sunshine to see the first Czech game. The face paint being used never dried so I ended up with red, white and blue all over my beer, bag and anything else that came anywhere near me.

I finished the night with some beer and the Portugal game

watching footy with beer

I did a lot of sightseeing too- up and under and over the Charles Bridge a mulititude of times and it never got dull.

charles bridge

I went to Prague Castle on Sunday and spent a good few hours there, sunning myself and taking photos

prague castle

Apparantely the largest continuous castle complex in the world, there is a lot to see. I fell in love with the cottages down Golden Lane- not least because they were shops!

Then I wandered out on the hill

prague

and round and about for some traditional Czech goulash and dumplings

goulash and dumplings

It tasted good and probably best not to think of what it was doing to my heart.

There were some great views of the city from the hill next to the castle

prague castle from the park

I make no apology for the gorgeous chocolate box nature of these photos- it is not my fault, it is Prague's.

Near the river I came across the John Lennon wall- a protest wall which has seen its share of action over the years- even the Koreans have got there now

john lennon wall

It may look a mess now but at one time this was an ongoing work in progress- created then painted over by the police, painted again etc. Now it is home to all kinds of graffiti

On Tuesday I realised that I had never been to a synagogue so I made up for it by visiting two- the Pinkus Synagogue which has an overcrowded graveyard and the Spanish Synagogue- a beautifully Moorish construction.

jewish cemetary

Prague was home to a large Jewish population in the past. The Nazis put an end to that but kept the area apparantely there was an intention to turn it all into a museum to the 'extinct' Jewish race. Scary stuff!

Rounded off the day with some football.

Tuesday I went on the Communist Walk with a guy who had lived through it all- being born during the Nazi occupation, having his photo taken sitting on a Soviet tank just after liberation, working through the Communist years and finally being in Wencelas Square in 1989. Interesting guy.

Then there was more football and shopping

footy again

To be honest, I didn't want to come home. And the lack of sun here today just made it worse- but at least this time I was able to go on holiday and not get sunburnt- result!

I am not back at work until next week- we are moving house tomorrow so I have no idea when the internet will be connected in the new house- we hope soon!

Just leave you with this sign I saw in Prague- and the question- so exactly what can you do there?

so what can you do

7 Comments:

At Wed Jun 14, 03:09:00 PM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

I forgot to say that the Polish guy I was talking to asked me if I was a teacher. I said that a lot of people ask that and wondered why. He thought for a second and then said that I had teacher's hair!

What does that mean?

 
At Fri Jun 16, 01:46:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey lady! been a while things have been crazy here as the term ends and i'm also getting ready to head off to china for a month...just hope i come back in one piece!

anyway i don't know how you always manage to be leaving on or returning from some adventure or other. and you were worried about settling down!?

as for teacher hair...if you find out what qualifies let me know cause i'm wondering if i have it...

 
At Sat Jun 17, 11:10:00 PM PDT, Blogger Canadian Mark said...

Ah the forbidden corner of Prague I'm surprised you were allowed to take a photo of that.

Thanks for the psuedo-journey - I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Not that I know exactly what it means, but I have to agree - you do have a teacher's hair - all the more reason to wear a hat, eh.

 
At Sun Jun 18, 07:46:00 PM PDT, Blogger R said...

...or shave your head.

Lovely pics Hel', I wish I could jump around from country to country at ease like you.

Not many places you can make a weekend trip to, from Australia...

 
At Mon Jun 19, 12:31:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teacher hair....thats funny. Personally I wouldn't say you have teacher hair. Looks like you had fun. Thanks for the tour.

Ner

 
At Sat Jun 24, 09:05:00 PM PDT, Blogger Les Becker said...

And AGAIN with the No Hat! This is all Canadian Mark's fault... he keeps finding and stealing the booze from your Christmas package. And I'll be damned if I'm going to send a package to you with no booze in it.

 
At Sun Jun 25, 01:07:00 AM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

Ah yes, no hat but you will notice- also no sunburn! Looks like I might be getting the hang of this being out in the sun lark!

Ror, I have toold you before, get your Irish passport, get a TEFL and I will get you a job here! Then Europe is a mere budget airline flight away.

Tania, have loads of fun in China and try not to eat any toad- are you travelling or working there?

Just so that you know- I am spending nearly all day out of the house every day at the moment- life feels so hectic! We have sorted out a dial up connection but I think that I will wait until broadband is reconnected before i try uploading any photos.

Teacher's hair- still no closer to the truth. And given that I am often mistaken for an Australian, does this mean that I have Australian teacher's hair??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts