Sunday, July 02, 2006

The end of the World Cup- as far as I am concerned

This is either the end of another busy week here in London or the start of a new lot of busyness- depending on your view. I felt that I had had quite a quiet week socially until I realised that my definition of quiet seems to have only entailed not going out on Monday or Tuesday night!

Camilo, my Colombian ex-student and friend, went back to the land of coke and kidnapping on Friday so we met on Wednesday for some farewell drinks. Well, I was drinking, the students tend to sit for hours without the need for a sup of alcohol. We did take some photos though and it did give me one less day to prepare for my end of course Spanish test on Thursday night.

camilo daniela deniz and me

Which wasn't too bad actually- I got 'muy bien' which was quite satisfying. Now I just have to find out what goes on with the course next term. It hasn't always been the best course- in terms of teaching and content- but I am going to stick with it. I might move schools but I want to keep studying. It is encouraging- that a few months ago I couldn't understand any Spanish and now I know how to to tell people that I don't know any Spanish!

I went out on Friday night with Sarah teacher and decided to celebrate payday with a Korean meal. We went to a restaurant that I have been to several times before- it is masquerading as a Japanese restaurant- Kintaro- despite having all Koreans working there and an extensive Korean menu (or 'Special menu' as it is billed).

But we uncovered a bit of scandal- there is a sign in the window, in Korean, advertising soju at five pounds a bottle. But the English menu has it listed at eight pounds. When I queried this they told me that it was only cheap for Korean people - so I told them that I was a Korean person and ordered everything in Korean. I checked at the end and we got the soju at the Korean price!

Yesterday was the big football day- quarter-finals knockouts for both England and Brazil. We watched the England game in the dark and sweaty basement of the Walkabout but accidentally ended up in an Irish bar full of French people for the second game.

perrine and gustavo

We moved at half time and found more Brazilians just in time for the loss.

I never thought that I would support the French but it suddenly occurred to me how much easy my life at school would be if the Brazilians were out of the tournament. And the French girl in our party was rather more worried about how upset her boyfriend would be than excited for her own nation- bless!

We spent a mildly diverting few minutes watching tourists take photos of the England fans being arrested at Piccadilly Circus. And a tense moment when we thought that the disgruntled supporters might end up at the Euro Pride Festival taking placing in Soho a few feet away. Overall it didn't seem too bad. I guess that the heat helped.

And today me and Penny joined 10,021 other women for the Race for Life on Blackheath. It is a 5km sponsored walk or run, depending on your preference, to raise money for cancer charities.

race for life blackheath

People put message on their backs about who they are running for and it was very moving.

marion and penny

Really 5km is not that far but it was about 30 degrees today and it is more the taking part in something so big with so many people who have similar experiences to your own that is important.

race for life

And you get a shiny medal at the end of it:)

2 Comments:

At Thu Jul 06, 04:22:00 PM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

Just arrived home and was in the bathroom when I spotted a big hairy spider on the bathmat- guess that there will be no cleaning my teeth before going to bed tonight then!

 
At Sun Jul 09, 11:57:00 AM PDT, Blogger Helen said...

It is half time at the moment in the final.

Happy bar smashing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Forklifts
Free Web Counter
Forklifts